This position is responsible for network services including LAN, data center, wireless, and wide area networks. The position plans, directs, and coordinates the design, installation, and connectivity of network systems to ensure the stable operation of the organization's communications needs. This includes developing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all new and existing data flows, and communication links. The position will collaborate with an experienced team of Network, Telecom and Security engineers to resolve network related issues in a timely and accurate fashion.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Responsible for support of the Wide Area Network (WAN) as well as wired and wireless Local Area Networks (LAN's) throughout the organization. This includes implementation and maintenance of network hardware (routers, switches, wireless, etc.) at various geographic locations.
* Maintain network monitoring systems to alert on resource availability and produce metrics.
* Identify, evaluate, and recommend network related tools and emerging technologies to provide greater service to Northwestern Medicine employees.
* Responsible for optimization of network hardware, software, and communication links to support all current and future network applications over a converged network of data and voice (VoIP) traffic.
* Analyze and troubleshoot network and telecommunications issues to resolve outages in a timely manner and minimize impact to the company and its respective business units.
* Develop and maintain network documentation, and network diagrams for support, audit, compliance, and Disaster Recovery purposes.
* Contribute to the planning of short and long-term network capacity requirements.
* Comply with all published enterprise level policies and procedures including, but not limited to, Risk Management policies.
* Light travel is expected to reach remote sites (branches and data centers). Occasional off-hours support.
* Other duties may be required and assigned by leadership.
* Requires expert knowledge of IP Networking including routing, switching, TCP/IP, IP subnetting, load balancing, traffic optimization, performance monitoring, Cisco IOS, BGP, EIGRP, ACL's, HSRP, MPLS, SNMP, SFTP, SSH, STP, hierarchical NTP design, TACACS, RADIUS, VLAN trunking, and various VPN technologies. Extensive hands on experience with Cisco routers and switches, circuit provisioning experience, and analysis of packet captures for the purposes of troubleshooting are also required.
* Requires advanced knowledge and understanding of QoS, IPsec, vPC's, Nexus NX-OS, VRF's, various network admin and monitoring tools, Firewalls, Blade Enclosure Networking in a virtual environment, load balancing, and wireless solutions.
* Requires a general understanding of Cisco UCS, Wireless, and ISE.
* Knowledge of ACI and Datacenter Technology is a plus.
* Demonstrates network, wireless, and systems design experience using industry best practices.
* Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills are required. Must have experience in capturing and analyzing traffic using packet capturing tools.
* Identify and remedy weaknesses in the environment.
* Strong organizational skills required.
* Exceptional technical documentation skills required (Flow diagrams, network maps, technical writing, etc.)
* The ability to be a positive role model for the team by promoting team work and not enforcing negative behavior. This position will also mentor and enhance the skill sets of the team.
Required: Bachelors preferred, Relevant IT\Cisco\Network Certifications. 8+ years of experience.
Preferred: Networking certifications, such as Cisco expert level certifications (CCIE or CCDE) are a plus.