Verisign, a leader in domain names and internet infrastructure, enables internet navigation for many of the world's most recognized domain names. Verisign enables the security, stability, and resiliency of key internet infrastructure and services, including providing root zone maintainer services, operating two of the 13 global internet root servers, and providing registration services and authoritative resolution for the .com and .net top-level domains, which support the majority of global e-commerce.
Verisign's Technology Services Group (TSG) is looking for a Senior Network Engineer who will be responsible for building and operating a global service-provider network. The team focuses on maintaining a highly-available, scalable and secure network built using cutting edge hardware, custom automation & state-of-the-art monitoring systems.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to influence architecture and design decisions, while working on the latest industry trends in networking and security. The role requires the Senior Network Engineer to:
* Manage major projects, including build-outs, decommissions and migration from legacy infrastructures.
* Document standard-operating-procedures and playbooks for the NOC.
* Build a library of Operational Decision Records to improve incident resolution times.
* Develop as-built diagrams, topology models using tools to represent accurate views of the network.
* Lead initiatives to audit and standardize "golden template" configurations of the network.
* Work closely with tools and automation team to provide requirements for proactive monitoring. Define monitoring attributes and threshold levels for rapid response to network issues.
* Develop plans to validate network resiliency testing and support regular testing.
The successful candidate needs to have a strong technical background encompassing multiple areas, including networks, security, load-balancing, monitoring and automation.
Ideal candidates should exhibit thought leadership and proven ability to influence designs with the goal of improving operational support.
Must have demonstrated experience in design, engineering & deployment of firewalls, routers, switches, load balancers & VPN solutions in a mission-critical environment focusing on 100% uptime.
Candidates are expected to work independently with minimum supervision, generate ideas for improvement of processes and work on improving the network.
The organization emphasizes team-players that can collaborate and influence other teams to bring initiatives to completion.
Must have experience in driving technology enhancements and operational excellence initiatives to provide superior service to the customers of the network.
* Develop test plans and procedures for regression testing of code upgrades, vendor bug scrub analysis and network design validation on production networks.
* Perform as Tier 3 escalation in support of IT operational organization during complex highly impactful outages that can cross multiple functional domains, involving chronic recurring problems, vendor product bugs & other critical network functionality
* Produce quality detailed documentation through the entire project delivery life-cycle. This includes network diagrams, project plans, Standard-operating-procedure playbooks and deployment plans.
* Participate in 24x7 shift on-call rotation for the Edge networks.
* Participate in sprint planning and daily stand-ups and provide regular progress reports to management team.
* Mentor junior members to develop key technical and operational skillsets within the team and outside groups.
* Map project goals, status and expectations with the PMO & stakeholders.
* A Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field is required; a Master's degree is preferred.
* 10 years' experience with networking, firewall, load balancer technologies. At least 5 years' experience as a lead engineer working in a service provider/global network organization.
* Strong technical expertise in Internet routing, specifically around large-scale BGP IPv4 and IPv6 environments.
* Experienced in design & deployment of multi-vendor firewall solutions (Juniper SRX, Palo Alto). Must have extensive exposure to deploying new firewalls, migrating from legacy platforms, and troubleshooting firewall policy issues.
* Strong technical leadership and project management skills. Must be able to manage multiple priorities and maintain focus in high-pressure situations.
* Should have relevant exposure/certification in ITIL & Agile methodologies. Experience with collaboration tools like Atlassian Confluence.
* Must be comfortable communicating with VP and Senior Directors in a clear, concise manner.
* Strong foundational expertise in IP routing protocols (BGP & OSPF), IPv6 routing and security, VXLANs, IPSec VPNs, EVPN, MPLS, QoS
* Must be able to demonstrate extensive deployment and troubleshooting experience with 2 of the 3 routing & switching vendors: Arista, Juniper & Cisco.
* Prefer vendor certifications with vendors such as Palo Alto PCNSE, Juniper (JNCIE), Cisco (CCNP, CCDP, CCIE)
* Available for on-call rotation and some domestic & international travel will be necessary (~10% travel)