Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The Global Enterprise and Technology Services group is accountable for Infrastructure and Enabling platforms for Manulife's global business. Within ETS is the Network Services team, which is responsible for the global network, some managed by the team itself and others managed for the team by service providers. Our network services support users based in Canada, the United States (John Hancock brand), and 11 countries in Asia, encompassing almost 30,000 employees, over 55,000 independent agents, and millions of customers. We provide WAN, cloud connectivity, data centre networks, branch site networks, end user access and mobility solutions, and core network services such as DNS and IP address management. The team is geographically dispersed with team members in Toronto, Montreal, Kitchener-Waterloo, Boston and 11 Asian countries.
This role reports to the Director, Network Engineering North America and is based in Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Montreal or Boston, working on both North American and Global initiatives. There is flexibility to partially work from home.
This role is an individual contributor with responsibility for leading cross-functional and matrixed teams comprising employees, service providers and vendors as well as expert hands-on network skills combined with the ability to work with/through service providers, prioritize, and communicate. The successful candidate will be expected to work very closely with the various business units and collaborating with geographically dispersed teams.
The successful candidate is a well-rounded Network Engineer with extensive experience across a diverse range of network hardware and software, protocols and routing.
* Translate business needs into technical actions and plans, manage technology lifecycles, and produce architectures, engineering plans, and roadmaps for data network solutions.
* Provide technical direction and requirements to Bell, IBM, CGI, Verizon, AT&T and other service providers to ensure optimum delivery of committed service levels are being provided.
* Lead, design, review/validate, and execute on solutions for network-related projects. Assess, analyze and synthesize network data in support of the current network infrastructure. Assess alternatives for short and long term impacts and recommend appropriate solutions.
* Analyze current network design and operational standards; identify gaps and improvements, gain team and management alignment to implement.
* Produce solutions for business units that encompass Day 0, Day 1 and Day 2 operations in addition to the technical solution, aligning with corporate/group standards, service definitions, and strategies
* Execute technical solutions hands-on where internally managed and through service providers elsewhere.
* Develop or contribute to business cases and proposals. This may include presentation to senior management.
* Provide governance oversight for troubleshooting complex network problems. This involves working closely with business units, other infrastructure teams and external vendors.
* Provide coaching and technical support to more junior members of the team
* Work closely with the IT security group to ensure compliance with IT security standards and policies
* Form collaborative relationships with peers, business units, regional technology groups, and external service partners
* Participate in Change Review Board and approve major network changes
* Occasional travel between Manulife offices as well as participation in evening conference calls, after hours escalations and weekend change tickets
* Candidate will participate in On-Call rotation a few times per year.
* Act as Level 3 and/or 4 escalation for production Incidents.
* Flexible Work Smart environment with ability to work from various office locations and from home as appropriate.
* Senior IT professional with extensive hands on experience designing, deploying and managing large complex network environments
* Minimum 10 years of progressive data network experience in a large, complex, fast paced environment; financial services and/or telecom/Internet service provider experience preferred
* Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience in conjunction with industry certifications (Cisco certifications preferred, including but not limited to CCIE, CCDP)
* Experience managing vendor-provided services including network outsourcing arrangements
* Demonstrated technical leadership and expert knowledge in data network design
* Strong working knowledge of network technologies, particularly Cisco Systems routing/switching equipment and 2 or more of the following Cisco ASA and VPN, Nexus, Catalyst, and WiFi; Aruba WiFi and Clearpass; F5 BigIP, Riverbed Steelhead, MobileIron, network management tools, analyzing packet captures, DNS & IPAM.
* Added value skillsets include network security (firewalls, IDS, IPS, NAC, content filtering etc). - CISSP certification an asset - and VOIP, video and/or unified communications deployment using Cisco/Avaya/Nortel; and expertise in QoS, Software Defined Networking, and Cloud-optimized networks
* Strong operations efficiency orientation (process, costing etc.) and ability to effectively manage ongoing operations within budget while identifying opportunities for ongoing efficiency, familiarity with ITIL framework
* Ability to think strategically, assess alternatives for short and long term impacts and act decisively; strong systems aptitude, demonstrated project management and planning skills; balances strategic skills with tactical execution skills; function well within a matrixed environment; can manage situations under dynamic mandates
* Clear, effective communication (written and verbal) is essential, including ability to explain technical information to non-technical audiences and create effective documentation for other teams
* Global or multi-country operations experience an asset
If you are ready to unleash your potential it's time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of March 31, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$849 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Manulife is a financial services company providing financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions.