What you will do:
The Senior Manager of Software Development will develop high performing teams of software developers to define, design, build, and maintain high quality software that support ShopperTrak and Sensormatic Solutions business initiatives. Using Agile practices, this individual will also help define and prioritize work to ensure timely delivery of critical business requirements. Additionally, they will champion efficiency, innovation, and excellence, and will help define scalable, high performing, highly available, secure, manageable, and extensible technical solutions for systems using clean, simple and evolutionary design. The Senior Manager of Software Development will also collaborate closely with the Product Management teams and other teams inside and outside of the Engineering department.
How you will do it:
* Performance management and development of direct reports.
* Assist HR with creating effective recruiting practices to ensure ShopperTrak can attract the highest quality people.
* Develop team productivity and quality metrics, and continually measure performance to ensure defined targets are achieved.
* Ensure resources are using tools efficiently.
* Timely management of employee administrative processes, such as time tracking and vacation requests.
* Manage vendor relationships, including negotiation of contracts and accurate billing.
* Drive excellent design and implementation of software solutions using best practices.
* Champion software development using Agile practices.
* Advocate automated testing and ensure test code coverage.
* Work closely with the PMO and Product Management teams to create, maintain, and transparently radiate accurate product release plans that align with business priorities.
* Manage the resolution of issues and risks affecting development initiatives.
* Negotiate and mediate to ensure customer expectations/requirements are met while balancing with the needs of the technology organization.
* Drive continuous improvement to reduce/minimize technical debt and encourage innovation.
* Ensure software is adequately maintained throughout its life cycle.
* Promote procedures, documentation, and training that empower the Production Support team to ensure smooth rollouts, continual operation, and effective support of quality software.
* Plan and manage an on-call support rotation that ensures resources are available 24x7 to provide third level application support.
* Participate in manager on-call rotation.
What we look for:
* BS in Computer Science, or equivalent years of education and experience
* 10+ years custom software development experience, equivalent experience managing a development team
* An enthusiastic leader with the ability to motivate a team of technology developers
* A desire to work in a fast-paced innovation driven environment
* Consistently deliver timely results
* Identify mediocrity and eliminate it
* Problem-solving abilities for recognizing technical issues and developing appropriate solutions
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to communicate effectively about technical subjects with non-technical people
* IT Project Management (Planning, Budget, Resource Management, Risk Management, Issue Management)
* Ability to plan and estimate work of a team
* Strong interpersonal and informal presentation skills
* Focus on both ownership and ownership delegation
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/tomorrowneedsyou.