As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
General Summary/Overview Statement:
The Research Information Systems & Computing (RISC) group of Partners HealthCare is looking for a Senior Manager to be a key member of a team building new and innovative products for advancing the field of clinical research. We are looking for a self-motivated, highly qualified individual who demonstrates great attention to detail and can manage a team of highly skilled programmers and analysts. This position will report directly to the Associate Director (AD) of RISC and will be working closely with other analysts, developers and research-based teams around the enterprise.
The incumbent's primary responsibilities will be to manage both the personnel and the day to day operational aspects of projects related to RISC's interactions with industry. This includes designing detailed project plans, creating and executing operational plans for platform maintenance, providing vision and a roadmap for projects going forward, working directly with industry partners to establish requirements and gather feedback, and working with disease area teams both internally and externally to Partners to scope, budget and execute research studies. The incumbent will need to be extremely comfortable working directly with RISC and Partners leadership as well as leadership from various industry partners. She/he will set the technical standards and development methodology to be used across all RISC projects within her/his purview; this not only includes designing a technical and computational project plan, but also overseeing and documenting all aspects of the project as it moves forward. She/he will occasionally need to be involved directly in executing technical or analytical requirements as necessary to keep projects on track.
Additionally, the project manager will oversee the personnel, project milestones, and overall development of the RISC data analytics enclave. This project is key for the overall vision of how RISC will store, access, analyze, and utilize data within Partners for research analytical purposes. In particular, the incumbent will need to synchronize the requirements of multiple internal stakeholders while understanding the broader ecosystem of data research utilization across the system.
He/she will directly manage and oversee a team of developers and analysts. In this capacity, the incumbent will be responsible for fostering a work environment in which all employees feel valued and part of the overall RISC team. This includes providing vehicles in which employees are heard and responded to in a timely and appropriate manner. The Senior Manager will also demonstrate trust, respect and compassion for all management and staff while consistently looking for ways to improve employee engagement and minimizing turnover.
This work will require the incumbent to be comfortable working both independently and as part of a team and to quickly understand and participate in a complex technical research infrastructure. The applicant must be comfortable working on an evolving network in which the specific goals and deliverables are subject to change.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Works closely with the RISC leadership, RISC Technical Lead, other RISC managers and IT colleagues to translate corporate/functional business and information objectives into an effective business plan.
* Effectively communicates with both internal and outside stakeholders to flesh out requirements, understand expectations, and interpret outside business objectives to internal milestones and deliverables
* Uses in-depth knowledge of clinical research analytical methods as well as strong technical skills to define the scope, project plan, project resource allocation for both internal and external projects
* Monitors project progress against timelines to ensure key deliverables are met on time. Responsible for tracking key project milestones and adjusting project plans and/or resources to meet current requirements
* Sets the technical standards and development methodology to be used for each project Able to oversee and guide junior analysts in designing and executing both retrospective and prospective research studies
* Ability to translate research study requirements as given by industry partners into analysis plans that can be successfully executed on Partners data
* Willingness to jump into a senior analyst role when needed to analysis data and/or run statistical packages to answer study questions.
* Works with RISC Associate Director to meet budgetary objectives and adjust project constraints based on financial analysis
* Creates and maintains a positive work environment that allows everyone to work to the best of their abilities.
* Mentors and guides junior developers and analysts in their day to day work; develops internal team talent with an eye towards growing areas of expertise within the group
* Uses the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
* Ensure HIPPA and institutional compliance in all aspects of the work
* Performs all other duties as required. • Bachelor's/Master's degree in computer science or a healthcare related informatics field
* 10 years of healthcare informatics experience
* 7 years of experience successfully managing small and large-scale projects with teams of 3 or more
* 3 years of research and industry customer facing experience
* 3 years of experience working with big data for healthcare
* 3 years of experience constructing and executing SQL queries for analysis, troubleshooting and editing of data sets
* 3 years of experience with a statistical package such as R or SAS for analysis and reporting of datasets
* In-depth knowledge of healthcare research study design and analysis
* Strong technical proficiency in software engineering across multiple platforms, including Big Data Cloud Computing
* Successful track record of delivering programs on scope, on time, on budget
* Knowledge of HIPPA and privacy regulations regarding patient data security
* Bachelor's/Master's degree in computer science or a healthcare related informatics field
* Expert knowledge of medical terminology and healthcare concepts
* Knowledge of hospital and clinical information systems, including electronic medical records
* Ability to design and implement technical systems that manage complex data flow
* Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, SQL and construction of stored procedures
* Experience with statistical analysis, including the use of standard analytical applications like R and SAS
* Understanding of Data validation and QA principles and their utilization
* Experience with Natural Language Processing and textual data mining
* Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with cross functional teams including technical and non-technical staff at all levels of the organization
* Ability to run large and small scale projects concurrently applying knowledge and awareness of project management principles, documents and plans
* Proven effective day-to-day management of teams of 5 or more
* Exceptional problem solving and negotiation skills
* Self-motivated, independent and possesses the ability to learn quickly
* Ability to work efficiently under pressure and to manage to tight deadlines
Working with our team on site in Somerville as well as traveling to meet collaborators at multiple sites in the local Boston area. 5 - 10% travel outside of Boston may be required
About Partners HealthCare
Partners HealthCare is a not-for-profit health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service.