Requisition Number: 156460
Position Title: Sr Manager Engineering
EA Digital Platform (EADP) Marketplace - Senior Manager of Engineering (Online Services)
We Are EA
And we make games - How cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That's why we employ the most creative and passionate people in the industry. But EA is so much more than a gaming company. The EA Digital Platform (EADP) team puts the customers first in creating cutting edge technology to enhance the player experience. We are building a game-changing technological platform that powers some of the biggest games in the world. Our work impacts/touches millions of players around the world. Plus, we are a fun place to work (did I mention games?)
Save the planet from Alien Invaders. Score the winning touchdown.
Yup - It's the coolest job on the planet!
The Challenge Ahead:
Is to build our new cross-game, cross-platform digital economy platform. This large scale, always-on collection of RESTful Java-based services will power the virtual-economies of EA's network of games which are experienced by tens of millions of players. You'll have the opportunity to build sophisticated platform capabilities handling several hundred-thousand requests per second, and driving the player engagement of many of the industry's most popular titles. You'll be able to build server-side systems that deliver new functionality within the larger Digital Platform, as well as work on regular improvements to the systems to keep them at top notch performance.
Why build game economies? Because they enhance the player experience through:
Pride - Accomplishment through accumulation
Competition - Scarcity creates rivalry
Community - Shared understanding of value, opportunity for social interaction
Markets - Engaging with game and other players to transact
Value-add - connection and effort can add perceived and real-value
Game depth - Add a dynamic and evolving mechanic to game fiction
… and that's pretty cool.
What a Senior Manager of Engineering does within EADP Marketplace Division at EA:
As a Senior Manager of Engineering, your primary responsibility will be to lead the team of engineers in designing, architecting, building and operating our marketplace service offering. You will also be responsible for interacting with our studios and product management to help define and refine the platform capabilities, and accelerate the platform adoption. As a people manager, you will be responsible for helping shape people's careers and mentor the team in growing and reaching their full potential. As a technical leader, you will be hands-on architecting, designing and developing features with the team that move our platform forward.
* Lead the technical design and architecture of major components in our large scale distributed HTTP based backend service, creating new features and updating existing ones
* Balance between design architecture and coding (Roughly 40% to 60% hands-on coding)
* Lead and grow a world-class online services team.
* Working with multiple studios and business leaders across the globe to design and deliver platform features that meet or exceed their needs
* Ability to prioritize multiple critical product and engineering features while ensuring on-time delivery
* Run a 24/7 online service and managing escalation of critical issues
Required Skills / Experience
* Expertise in designing and operating large scale on-line distributed systems.
* Hands-on engineering leader - close to the code
* Proven track record of strong technical leadership, and people management experience
* A passion for working in video game industry and/or commerce/virtual economy systems
* Demonstrated history of being able to take a concept from design to completion including the ability to work through ambiguity and drive to execution in an iterative model
* Comfortable working in an Agile environment.
* Excellent communication skills; able to explain technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
* Proven ability to grow and develop top technical talent
* BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent degree
* 9 + years' experience developing object-oriented software (preferably in Java)
* 6 + or more years' experience working on online services (HTTP via REST) at Internet consumer scale
* Experienced with AWS, Docker, Spring, Redis, MySQL (preferred experience in: Actor or Virtual Actor Models (Orleans, Akka, Orbit))
* Experience with Event Processing
* Comfortable working with large volumes of data.
What's In It For YOU? Glad You Asked!
We are proud of the great perks we offer like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, pension with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. Health, Dental, Financial offered (ESPP and RRSP matching); Bonus and relocation assistance also offered.
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Manager Engineering, EADP Marketplace
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-07-11 20:28:45.583
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Seattle, Washington US
About Electronic Arts
Electronic Arts is a company that develops, markets, publishes, and distributes games, content, and services for game consoles, personal computers, mobile phones, and tablets.