Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate's Innovation Team is at the forefront of change and growth within the company, driving the creation of standalone businesses or reinvention of existing ones. Innovation projects typically include cross-functional team members within Business Strategy, Product, Technology, Design, and Go to Market functions, who use data-driven prototypes and testing to achieve desired business outcomes. The team is seeking to augment its analytics capabilities further by hiring a senior manager to lead a small group of data science and data engineering specialists.
The Senior Manager of Data Science will be responsible for leading the analytical efforts for innovation programs, partnering with business and product functions to help define the right analytical approaches to solving business problems. These approaches will include the development and execution of models, algorithms, and techniques using structured and unstructured data, and the role will be a key person in defining what data will be needed, how it will be collected, and how it will be managed.
These efforts will require an experienced person accustomed to translating complex analyses into key insights for data-driven decision making and effective communication of the results. This person will also be the key interface with other data analytics organizations within and outside the enterprise on larger initiatives. The role will grow and manage a small team of more junior data science specialists to execute the programs and will be responsible for their career growth and success.
* An undergraduate degree in a quantitative or technical field such mathematics, finance, economics, computer science, or engineering. A Masters or Ph.D. degree in a relevant discipline is strongly preferred.
* 10+ years of experience in roles relevant to data analytics, with at least 5 years in a role managing a team.
* Strong proficiency in statistical techniques for exploratory, predictive, and causal analytics with experience in applying them to solve business problems for large-scale programs.
* Strong proficiency in one or more common languages commonly used in data analytics (Python, R, Java, Scala, etc.).
* Knowledge and experience in development of models and algorithms, including machine learning-based approaches, using common industry tools and libraries.
* Proficient in SQL and database management, both relational and big-data platforms.
* Experience using data visualization tools such as Tableau and graphic representation of complex data.
* Knowledge of data privacy regulation and best practices.
Allstate is a company operating as a personal lines property and casualty insurer.