Are you passionate about crafting creative machine learning solutions to solve challenging and meaningful problems?
Do you take pride in contributing to groundbreaking science?
Do you thrive in an interdisciplinary, collaborative, and creative environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Senior Machine Learning Researcher to help us invent the future and take Intelligent Systems from concept to reality. We are a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers focused on groundbreaking impact, particularly in the areas of machine learning, autonomy, applied neuroscience, and robotics. We want someone who is highly skilled and motivated to support perception, machine learning, and inference projects, particularly in the application areas of national defense and national health.
As a Senior Machine Learning Researcher...
* Your primary responsibility will be identifying and defining concrete machine learning tasks and solutions when presented with broader client needs. This includes, but is not limited to, projects in Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Adversarial Machine Learning, Common Sense Reasoning, and Causal Reasoning.
* You will lead and provide technical vision for multidisciplinary research teams to bring next gen intelligent systems to reality.
* You will lead and collaborate on technical proposals to grow and define machine learning research in Intelligent Systems.
* You will communicate research vision, results, and impact to clients, as well as internal management through papers, presentations, and technical reports.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
* Are a US citizen.
* Have a Ph.D. in Mathematics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Optimization, or equivalent and 2 years of experience.
* Have proven ability in defining machine learning research problems and identifying possible solutions.
* Have excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to articulate complex technical issues effectively and appropriately for a wide range of audiences.
* You are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information.
* Security clearance eligibility requires you to be a U.S. citizen.
You meet our desired qualifications if you…
* Have 5 years of experience.
* Have published in leading ML or AI conferences.
* Are fluent, with hands-on experience in some combination of the following implementation languages: Python, C /C, Java, MATLAB, R.
* Are fluent with a deep learning library like TensorFlow or PyTorch.
* Have proven experience leading others.
* Have experience in technical proposal writing or another form of business development.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.