Akamai is the world's largest and most trusted cloud delivery platform, delivering 95 exabytes of data a year across billions of devices. If you've ever shopped online, downloaded music, watched a web video or connected to work remotely, you've used Akamai's cloud delivery platform. At the heart of that platform is a set of systems that provide security, metadata delivery, communications, and infrastructure services for the entire Akamai network. Our users rely on our scalable and secure platform offerings to quickly deploy and monitor apps and services which are the foundation of Akamai's products.
We are looking for a talented Principal Software Engineer to join our team. We need versatile and creative engineers who can solve problems at all levels of the software stack, are interested in applying fresh ideas, and keep a keen eye towards leveraging existing cloud-native, open source, and public cloud applications. You will have the opportunity to use your knowledge, ingenuity, and skill to help us design and build next generation security, communications, safety, and platform/infrastructure as a service systems at the core of Akamai's globally distributed network.
* Lead and inspire a diverse team of engineers with background and skills in software engineering while interfacing with DevOps, SQA, and management
* Build the team, foster team culture, facilitate personal and career growth for team members
* Design and develop new features, optimize and enhance existing software functionality
* Understand broad sets of use cases, building the right APIs and features to support them
* Improve the testability, deployment, monitorability, and maintainability of our software
* Become a subject matter expert for our systems with an ability to explain and improve complicated code bases and assist with troubleshooting complex problems
* Help make Akamai systems faster, more scalable, reliable, and secure
About the Team
Part of our Platform Engineering organization, Akamai's System Communications (SysComm) team is in charge of developing distributed systems and platform infrastructure services to support Akamai's global network powered by over 250,000 servers. These systems operate behind the scenes to secure our network, help product teams bring their latest ideas to market, and provide the fault-tolerant and highly-scalable core of Akamai's communications, configuration, and monitoring systems. The team develops a highly parallelized component responsible for propagating configuration throughout the Akamai network, one of the largest content distributed systems in the world.
Required Education and Experience
* 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree; OR
* 3 years of related experience and a Master's degree; OR
* a PhD with no experience; or equivalent experience
* 3+ years of Experience in technical and/or team leadership.
* 5+ years of Experience with scripting languages such as Python and/or Go.
* 5+ years of Experience developing for/in Linux environments.
* 5+ years of Experience with common Internet protocols such as TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, and TLS/SSL.
* 5+ years of strong expertise with building scalable servers or distributed systems.
* 5+ years of experience with databases and SQL.
* Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
* Self-motivated, highly responsible, able to work with little supervision.
* Experience developing secure applications leveraging cryptographic libraries like OpenSSL, libsodium, etc
* Experience with databases, SQL, and/or distributed key-value storage solutions.
Akamai Technologies is a provider of cloud services for delivering, optimizing and securing online content and business applications across any device.