What you do at AMD changes everything
At AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies - building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the "extra mile" to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
AMD's Core Software Team (Apple Platform) develops and maintains the macOS Kernel device drivers for AMD Radeon graphics hardware. The Core Software Team is looking for an experienced software engineer to develop and maintain AMD's kernel graphics driver for macOS, with responsibility to support new product bringup at factory. The successful candidate will utilize their knowledge of operating system fundamentals to be a key contributor to the ongoing development of low-level, kernel drivers that leverage AMD Radeon GPUs. The ideal candidate will leverage outstanding cross-component, independent problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure to successfully resolve new product issues at factory onsite several times a year. The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic environment, be a strong team player with demonstrated initiative who is passionate about developing leading-edge products.
* Triage, trouble-shooting, and cross-component debug of new platforms at factory onsite, with extended visits for several weeks multiple times per year
* Excellent communications skills to report status and actions on high-visibility investigations to varied audience, from engineering to executive, and to engage with customer
* Enhancing and maintaining sophisticated production-level graphics drivers
* Collaborating closely with various engineering teams to implement features and debug issues within the GPU-specific driver
* Designing, prototyping, and evaluating new technologies and features
* Contributing to all phases of software development life cycle for kernel driver development, including requirements gathering, scoping, design, implementation, test, bug fixing and documentation.
* Profiling and analysis to identify and resolve performance issues
* Validating GPU features for new hardware generations
* BASc/BSc (or greater) in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
* Excellent technical communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills
* Excellent programming skills with demonstrated experience in C/C++
* Outstanding independent cross-functional problem solving and debugging skills
* 10+ years demonstrated software engineering experience (or advanced education equivalent) strongly preferred.
* Good foundational understanding of operating system concepts, memory management, concurrency and multi-threading strongly.
* Fast learner, adaptable, self-starter who can work both independently and collaborate well within dynamic team environment.
* Experience delivering production quality, maintainable code on schedule, particularly in a larger software organization.
* Experience with complex software systems and architectures.
* Strong understanding of Object Oriented design principles.
* Experience with operating system development, low-level device driver, embedded driver development or similar.
* Experience in GPU programming, and/or parallel and asynchronous processing using APIs such as Metal, OpenCL, CUDA, OpenGL, DirectX, D3D, or Mantle.
* Experience developing and debugging software on macOS or Linux/Unix.
* Knowledge of GPU and CPU architectures.
* Exposure to code optimization using the GPU or software performance analysis.
* Ability, appropriate travel documentation and willingness to travel to and from China for extended periods (several weeks) multiple times per year.
* Ability to travel to and from USA.
Requisition Number: 65361
Country: Canada State: Ontario City: Markham
Job Function: Software Engineering
AMD welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Reasonable accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process, unless undue hardship to AMD would result. Any applicant who requires accommodation should contact AskHR@amd.com
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services.
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is a semiconductor company that designs and develops graphics, processors, and media solutions for commercial and consumer markets.