The Wikimedia iOS team is a small but impactful group of engineers, product managers, and designers focused on the Wikipedia iOS app. We’re passionate about our global community of users and want to leverage the strengths of the iOS native platform to bring the Wikipedia experience to their fingertips.
The team is looking for an experienced Senior iOS Engineer who loves to empower and delight users with thoughtfully crafted apps. In this role, you will create new features, fix bugs, and define the future of Wikipedia on mobile devices.
- Write clean, concise code in Objective-C and Swift
- Work on a multithreaded Core Data stack
- Track down performance issues using Instruments
- Drive the architecture of the app and resolve any architectural issues, making key decisions
- Mentor and grow fellow engineers
- Diligently work to ensure the quality of the app
- Iterate quickly on new features
- Collaborate daily with engineers, designers, and product managers
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or related area) and 5 years of relevant experience; or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years iOS Objective-C and/or Swift experience
- Familiarity with the iOS Human Interface Guidelines, implementation and best practices
- Experience working in a remote environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Automate development processes (Bash, Ruby, Fastlane, etc)
- Write unit and UI tests using XCTest
- Write services with Node.js
Show us your stuff! If you have any existing open source software that you've developed (these could be your own software or patches to other packages), please share the URLs for the source. Links to GitHub are exceptionally useful.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia, the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects, and our mission of free knowledge for every single person. We help bring new knowledge to people around the world, lower barriers to participation, and make it easier for everyone to share what they know. We do this by keeping the Wikimedia projects fast, secure, and available to all, protecting the values and policies that allow free knowledge projects like Wikipedia to thrive, building new features and tools to make it easy to read, edit, and share from the Wikimedia sites, and by supporting the communities of volunteers who make the projects possible.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location