It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing. At Workday, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications. We work hard, and we're serious about what we do. But we like to have a good time, too. In fact, we run our company with that principle in mind every day: One of our core values is fun.
About the Team
Workday's Platform Infrastructure team supports an ever growing environment that consists of thousands of servers and networking devices, across the globe. The team is composed of highly skilled Software, Systems, and Network Engineers spanning multiple geographies from Pleasanton, CA to Dublin, Ireland. Our mission is to focus 100% on Production Operations by helping the business deliver new products and features, supporting the growing customer base, and maintaining operational excellence across all facets of the data center.
About the Role
Workday is looking for a Software Engineer with excellent computer science and programming fundamentals to join our Platform Infrastructure Tools team. As part of a close-knit team, you will have responsibility for developing/improving tools and applications that will automate the deployment and management of our server infrastructure in our global production data centers. You will collaborate with other teams in Operations, Security, Environments, and Development to design and operationalize new products/technologies before deployment into production environments.
* Develop and support automated, scalable solutions to manage our global infrastructure, with specific focus on bare metal provisioning and patching
* Conduct design and code reviews
* Support and extend Cobbler and similar solutions for systems provisioning
* Build integrations between services to create fully automated processes
* Extensively use automation tools like Chef, Ansible, and Jenkins to extend our management and orchestration capabilities
* Document and train other teams to support new deployments
* Passion for development best practices - unit testing, code reviews, community standards, and maintainable code
* Very strong development experience with object-oriented languages - preferably Python
* 5+ years coding experience in developing applications and systems automation in an infrastructure setting
* Experience with tools for managing and reviewing source code (git, gerrit, jenkins)
* Familiarity with Continuous Integration and development pipeline processes
* Solid understanding of Service Ownership - maximum uptime, happy customers, minimal bugs and regressions
* Ability to pick up new technologies like System Administration or Network Administration quickly, so you can focus on how to automate it
* Excellent hands on technical skills and troubleshooting abilities
* Good verbal & written communication skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate across teams and organizations
* Bachelor's degree in CIS or equivalent preferred but not required
Workday is a company providing enterprise cloud applications for finance and human resources.