Join a group of mission-driven professionals on our Data Logging & Analytics team and help support the resiliency and security of Federal Reserve and Treasury business applications. We develop and operate solutions that help our internal business, IT, and IS customers to collect, protect, and inspect machine data generated by applications and their underlying infrastructure (both on-premise and in the Cloud). The three 'V's of Big Data (Volume, Velocity, and Variety) are part of our daily work.
This Senior IS Data Engineer role on our team will provide technical thought leadership on some of our most critical efforts, including maturing our enterprise Syslog service offering. The role generally includes: managing, troubleshooting, and improving our machine data collection platforms; onboarding large and complex data sets for highly-visible efforts; and providing advanced project and daily operations support to drive successful business outcomes. Training is provided and the team has a supportive, knowledge-sharing culture.
* Providing technical leadership for operating and maturing an enterprise Syslog service
* Monitoring and troubleshooting AIX/Linux-based middleware environments
* Supporting capacity planning
* Onboarding and managing the health and quality of complex data sources
* Creating and responding to Service Management requests (e.g. Incidents, Changes, etc.)
* Gathering technical requirements from / providing consultative advice to stakeholders
* Providing rotational on-call coverage, as needed
Education and Experience
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other related field or equivalent work experience
* 5 - 10 years of related work experience
* Expertise in operating a highly-available, scalable enterprise Syslog infrastructure, including multiple input template configuration and compliance standard (e.g. RFC 5424)
* 5 years of Linux server administration and SAN/NAS experience in an enterprise environment
* Experience administering, troubleshooting, and performing capacity planning for large-scale distributed computing platforms
* Strong knowledge of configuration, networking, scripting, and automation
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Experience producing internal team and customer support documentation
* Experience with log management and analysis
* Ability to support multiple complex projects simultaneously
Nice to haves:
* Experience related to enterprise log management, with Splunk Enterprise experience preferred
* Experience in deployment, configuration, and maintenance of software agents
* Experience with Cloud-based environments
* Knowledge of containerized environments
* Knowledge of Information Security concepts, including NIST-based control compliance
Other Requirements and Physical Requirements
* This position requires access to confidential supervisory information, which is limited to "Protected Individuals" as defined in the U.S. federal immigration law. Protected Individuals include, but are not limited to, U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, U.S. permanent residents who are not yet eligible to apply for naturalization and U.S. permanent residents who have applied for naturalization within six months of being eligible to do so.
* As a condition of employment, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago employees must comply with the Bank's ethics rules which generally prohibit employees, their spouses/domestic partners, and minor children from owning securities, such as stock, of banks or savings associations or their affiliates, such as bank holding companies and savings and loan holding companies. If you or your spouse/domestic partner or minor child own such securities, and would not be willing or able to divest them if you accepted an offer of Bank employment, you should raise this issue with the recruiter for this posting, who can provide you contact information for our ethics official if necessary.
* This document indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position. It is not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. An employee's responsibilities, tasks, and duties might differ from those outlined in the job description, and other duties, as assigned, are a part of the job. The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago reserves the right to modify the elements of this job description, as business needs require.