At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
Uber is looking for top-notch Engineers to automate and build compute infrastructure at scale. We are a team of generalists with strong backgrounds and varying expertise across all parts of the stack at scale.
We actively challenge existing hardware trends and are always seeking the best solution to a problem. Not only are we solving our own problems, but because of our scale, we are solving problems that other companies have not yet had. This means we work closely with vendors and help shape their roadmaps to solve these problems.
This role involves a wide variety of technologies across large number of disciplines. You will be expected to jump in and develop strong solutions at scale. We do not have responsibilities set in stone, and are always looking for talented individuals to push us forward. We value the input of all our teammates, and it is important that you can contribute right away both with ideas and hands on engineering. You will have an opportunity to make an immediate impact that improves the quality of our infrastructure.
What You'll Do
This role is responsible for defining the features, validating, and deploying the servers into datacenter fleet. This will involve understanding the sw team's workload and translating that into the server hw features that would help accelerate their workload execution. The validation will involve component, server, and performance validation. The role will involve reviewing electrical and system validation plans to ensure proper testing of the function of the new server hardware. The responsibilities include performing some bring up, validation, and debug in the lab. It's exciting to then deploy large number of servers into our fleet and being able to debug issues that pop up.
What You'll Need
* BS degree in Electrical Engineering or related engineering field.
* 5+ years of relevant hardware system engineering experience.
* Prior experience with defining server level features to fit software workload needs, validating systems, and deploying systems into the datacenter
* Prior experience with debugging and fixing hardware and firmware issues on servers and storage systems.
* Prior experience with validation and debug of the server systems and motherboards to ensure proper form/fit/functionality of the board with all of its interfaces.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to write detailed design documents.
* You have a knack for helping the team grow by inspiring and mentoring less experienced engineers.
* You must be a team player. We have internal customers whom we want to serve to the best of our ability. You should have customer service skills and be able to develop solutions that span multiple teams.
* Strong experience with operating systems.You should have strong experience in the Linux environment and a solid understanding of its fundamentals such as kernel parameters
* Understanding of DHCP, PXE, DNS and TCP/IP are also a bonus
* Experience with developing service oriented systems, REST
* Solid background in multiple programming languages, e.g. Go, Python or C/C++