Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences with the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial and real-world data. Powered by artificial intelligence and delivered by #1 ranked industry experts, the Intelligent Platform for Life Sciences helps pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device companies and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk and optimize outcomes. Medidata serves more than 1,000 customers and partners worldwide and empowers more than 100,000 certified users every day to create hope for millions of patients. Discover the future of life sciences: www.mdsol.com
We know that diverse teams win and are fully committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with over 2000 employees.
Medidata seeks to extract information from data assets in clinical trials, research, and the commercial world to drive better health outcomes for patients everywhere. The Medidata Data Platform spans data acquisition technologies, storage, batch, streaming, machine learning, analytics, and reporting workflows to power the delivery of new, democratized platforms of data intensive applications and services to improve business operations, deliver personalized health experiences, and drive predictive insights. At the heart of those technologies is a diverse set of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data from a variety of domains, in numerous formats, and of varying accuracy. Medidata is seeking an Enterprise Architect of Data to lead the ongoing transformation and delivery of data platform capabilities for improved patient outcomes by ensuring the data that powers our platform is usable at scale.
This position will be expected to provide strategic leadership and technical guidance to enhance Medidata's ability to deliver cloud-based, enterprise SaaS solutions and data intensive products that optimize outcomes in life sciences. The Enterprise Architect for the Data will bring an engineering and architectural mindset, a systems thinker's insight, data architecture experience, and proven collaboration skills to enable diverse teams to build data intensive solutions that are highly scalable, flexible, composable, and unique to Medidata's evolving data needs. They are responsible for improving the consistency, timeliness, quality, security, delivery, and consumability of data.
The ideal candidate will have proven leadership and cross functional data management experience and have previously built robust, scalable data architectures that enable teams to rapidly innovate. The candidate is responsible for ensuring that the business value from data is realized in our platform and as such will display a great degree of business acumen and be capable of explaining data initiatives in clearly understood business terms. In order to enable the intellectual control of complex data assets the candidate must be able to communicate, evangelize, and lead a diverse team of architects and engineers as they design, model, document, analyze, plan, and build sustainable data architecture. Working with a team of Enterprise Architects the candidate will also own the technical direction, standards, design principles, and governance of the Medidata Platform's data. Additionally, he/she should be well versed in the following areas: cloud infrastructure (AWS preferably), architecture design, internal tools, machine learning, and analytic solutions.
* Unify and lead diverse teams to deliver on a long-term strategic vision for data-driven business capabilities. Develop a prioritized multi-year data architectural roadmap to power data intensive solutions.
* Define and implement policies, processes and procedures for the governance and management of data, including data capture, storage, data architecture, security, integration, business intelligence and analytics. This will include:
* Leading efforts to map data sources.
* Document interface contracts and data movement across the platform.
* Designing composable systems by coordinating efficient data movement and virtualized views of the underlying data streams.
* Defining enterprise data architecture, standards, and guidelines.
* Defining and evolving metadata and semantic technology strategies.
* Ensuring data quality in an agile environment at scale.
* Leading an agile and scalable DataOps environment.
* Collaborate with key stakeholders such as Product, Enterprise Architecture, Platform Services, Information Security and Data Science to ensure alignment with enterprise data direction
* Lead the definition and application of enterprise design principles, architectural standards, governance, and design.
* More than ten years of experience with advanced data/analytics/data architecture leadership roles. Leadership of teams focused on architecting data and building and supporting high-performance, highly-available and scalable data intensive platforms and products consuming that data.
* Experience in clinical trials and life sciences industries.
* Familiarity with clinical data standards including BRIDG and CDISC a must.
* Experience leading and architecting enterprise wide initiatives, specifically enterprise initiatives related to data architecture, data lakes, and knowledge graphs for a large enterprise.
* Experience defining and implementing an enterprise information strategy that leverages emerging, open source technologies to meet business objectives.
* Proven track record of being results oriented with demonstrated ability to achieve aggressive goals
* Experience working in a highly matrixed, cross functional organization
* Experience in the life sciences industry or knowledge of clinical trials
* Experience delivering enterprise SaaS solutions on-premise or in the cloud
Your Education & Experience:
* A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field. Advanced degree preferred
* Passionate, organized, smart, engaging, driven and technically savvy
* Able to establish mutual respect and a collaborative working relationship with their peers and team
* Must be able to implement strong process in the engineering organization, specifically around enterprise data architecture, metadata, and semantic technologies.
* Ability to set a very high bar and stretch goals, clearly communicate those goals and then infuse and inspire the team with a sense of purpose and urgency in attainment of those goals
* Flexible, able to adjust and change direction as the business environment and technology universe evolves and changes
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with all kinds of people at all levels inside and outside the organization.
* Ability to work through conflict, gain trust and persuasively influence outcomes
* Ability to address tactical issues in the short-term while maintaining strategic vision for the long-term
* Technically experienced and able to lead the architecture of the platform, as well as garner the respect of the team and the technology community
* Must excel working in team-oriented roles that rely on ability to collaborate with others
* Self-directed, curious, and comfortable working in dynamic environments
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata's solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Medidata is a company developing digital transformation solutions for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data.