Away is seeking a Data Engineering Manager to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for continuing to build and scale our data infrastructure. Your job will span all aspects of the ETL process, including maintaining our data pipeline, building new API integrations, and developing complex data models that transform our raw data into useful information for teams across the company. The perfect candidate is excited to both lead a team - setting a vision for our roadmap and mentoring data engineers - and be in the weeds writing code and developing our systems. This position is based out of our headquarters in Soho, New York City and reports to our VP of Engineering. What You'll Do:
* Develop and maintain scalable data pipelines and build out new API integrations as the complexity of our business and the volume of our data continues to increase
* Work with analysts and business owners to iterate on data warehouse design and the data models and that feed our business intelligence tool to make data more accessible and foster data-driven decision making across the company
* Implement systems to catch bugs and monitor data quality, ensuring our production data is always accurate and available for key stakeholders and business processes that depend on it
* This position is not just a management position, you will be expected to code, manage people, and architect for the future of data at Away as well as the department structure
* 6+ years of experience with ETL frameworks (we use Airflow + dbt running on Heroku), data warehouse design and data modeling
* 2+ years of experience managing people or a team of data engineers
* Experience with streaming data platforms like Apache Kafka and Amazon Kinesis
* BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
* Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages (we use Python) and the command line/git
* Proficiency writing advanced SQL (e.g. window functions, subqueries, complex joins)
* Experience developing business intelligence tools
* Experience with Looker
* Experience with the AWS suite of data and data science products (e.g. Redshift, S3, Sagemaker, etc), big data technologies (e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Spark), event streaming (Apache Kafka), and iPaaS solutions (e.g. MuleSoft, Dell Boomi)
* Can easily communicate technical concepts to a wide variety of audiences - from engineers to business stakeholders - and navigate between big-picture and technical details
You'll love working at Away because:
* We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You'll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you're here for three years, you'll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
* We're not just employees. We're people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
* We'll invest in your career. Our company's growing quickly, and we'll give you the opportunity to do the same. You'll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company's evolving needs.
* We're creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we're building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we're building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
* We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
* And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We'll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that's just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company's "World's Most Innovative Companies," one of TIME's "50 Most Genius Companies," and a Forbes "Next Billion Dollar Startup." We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we're expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We're hiring!
Away is a company that specializes in manufacturing luggage suitcases.