We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world - come find yours.
The United IT team designs, develops and maintains massively scaling technology solutions that are brought to life with innovative architectures, data analytics and digital solutions.
Job overview and responsibilities
This position is for an IBM Mainframe Storage Administrator.Responsibilities include the design, testing, evaluation, implementation, and support of DASD and Virtual Tape hardware, software and associated tools. Candidate will need to provide technical support in life cycle planning and problem management. Assist systems programing team programming with Implementing OS releases, upgrades, and/or changes into the environment. Ensure platform performance and availability meet enterprise objectives through monitoring, timely service restoration, and tuning.
* Perform root cause analysis to quickly recover from service interruptions, and to prevent recurring problems * Research, evaluate, and recommend emerging technologies for enterprise use to consistently drive down total cost of ownership * Provide technical support, as needed, to the enterprise * Perform technical reviews comparing enterprise standard platform components with that of their leading industry competitors * Consult with other business units (e.g. application groups, DBAs, middleware, etc.) to configure platforms for product installation * Design and document enterprise standards and procedures * Ensure platforms/systems conform to established enterprise/industry standards (systems management, security, operating systems, etc.) and reference models * Implement changes to platforms with minimal impact to the business by following enterprise standards and procedures * Monitor, manage, and tune platforms to ensure expected availability and performance levels are achieved * Provide on-site, and on-call 7x24x365 support, as needed * Coordinate activities with internal/external technology owners/service providers * Plan and implement life cycle management of software and hardware * Keep abreast of industry and technology trends * Understand technical/business requirements gathered from the business units * Analyze, design, and document platforms/systems to meet enterprise requirements * Maintains DFSMS ACS allocation rules * Maintains z/OS UCAT environment * Maintains DFSMShsm environment * Maintains z/OS data backups * Manages CA1/TMS environment
* Install, customize, maintain, test, and troubleshoot operating systems and other systems software * Configure, install, maintain, test, and troubleshoot hardware system
* BS/BA, preferably in Information Technology or Business or equivalent experience, education, or training * At least 5 years of experience as a z/OS Storage administrator * You must be on location at Willis Tower for this position
* The ideal candidate should have system material expertise in the following: DFSMS ACS allocation rules, JCL, IBM Utilities, UCAT processes
* High proficiency in SAS and REXX
* Technical Expertise - Involves demonstrating a commitment to increasing knowledge and skills in current technical/functional area, keeping up to date on technical developments, staying informed as to industry practices, knowing how to apply relevant technical processes to appropriate business needs * Working knowledge in the following: DASD and Virtual Tape replication * Working knowledge of: HP BCM Software, EMC DLm Virtual Tape subsystems, Windows Office Products
* Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship * Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification * Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
* Dedication - Involves demonstrating a desire to dedicate time and energy to accomplish goals, tasks, assignments, etc. Will do what it takes to get things done * Flexibility - Is open to change, enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks, anticipates and adjusts to problems and roadblocks, is not thrown off when things change, can flex to future consequences and trends appropriately * Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions, probes all fruitful sources for answers, can see hidden problems, is excellent at honest analysis, looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answer * Self-Development - Is actively committed to continuously improve him/herself, understands that different situations and levels may call for different skills and approaches, knows personal strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and limits, works on compensating for weaknesses and limitations, seeks feedback, gains insights from mistakes, is open to criticism without being defensive * Task Management - Delivers quality work on time, translates planning into action by following applicable established procedures or methodologies, proactively monitors and controls task status by collecting and analyzing task data to anticipate and address barriers, appropriately communicates and resolves or escalates any problems that arise