The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC plays an integral role towards our goal of developing world class genetics and genomics research, focusing on finding the right targets and helping us better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior of and response to our drugs in clinical trials. Within the GRC, the Department of Bioinformatics is responsible for data analysis and provides analytical insight for both internal and external data. This involves the identification and characterization of underlying genetic, epigenetic, or genomic factors that are associated with disease diagnosis, prognosis and response (efficacy and safety) to drug treatment, identification of new targets, and interpretation of the impact of genetic and genomic evidence from population-based studies. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineer, Bioinformatics, based in Cambridge Massachusetts. The candidate will work closely with computational biologists and research project teams in Immunology discovery to develop immunology focused databases, analytical pipelines and scientific applications for the GRC.
* Optimize existing pipelines, workflows, and systems, as well as help establish new pipelines, workflows, and systems
* Independently translate and implement algorithms and protocols in a local or cloud high performance computing environment.
* Internalize relevant external immunological genetic & genomics datasets and generate analysis-specific data frames / databases for rapid manipulation and analyses.
* Develop and maintain data repositories in a structured manner for semi-automated computational reassessment and record keeping.
* Identify and understand immunology analytical needs and translate that into solution designs and develop custom visual query and analytical applications.
Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
* BS, MS, or Ph.D in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, or related field, with at least 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS), or 0+ (Ph.D) years of relevant experience.
* Fluency in 2 or more or relevant programming languages, such as R, Python, Perl, Java, or C++; contemporary data visualization methods like D3, R Shiny, or Spotfire; as well as experience database management in SQL, SQLite, or MongoDB.
* Familiarity with standard tools and data formats related to gene expression, enrichment analysis, genetic, genomic, or epigenetic data, e.g., encountered when analyzing high-throughput transcriptomic, whole exome, whole genome, whole methylome, GWAS, or targeted resequencing data.
Additional desired skills include:
* Experience analyzing and interpreting gene expression data for understanding disease mechanisms and model organism prioritization
* Experience handling, visualizing, recording, and managing data with SQL or other enterprise solutions
* Fluency with consortium disease specific (like the Accelerating Medicines Partnership - RA/SLE, the Crohn and Colitis Foundation) or genomic databases (such as those relating to genome annotation, genetic variants, public data repositories).
* Strong communication skills in a collaborative environment
* Demonstrated proficiency in a Linux environment and high performance distributed computing
* Experience interpreting biological data related to diseases associated with cancer, neurodegenerative disease, immunological, or metabolic disorders
Key Leadership Competencies
* Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners to enable higher performance.
* Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
* Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
* Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
* Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to work within a team environment.
* AbbVie is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer: At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
* Significant Work Activities and Conditions: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
* Travel: No
* Job Type: Experienced
* Schedule: Full-time
AbbVie is a pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and markets both biopharmaceuticals and small molecule drugs.