We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place.
The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people's busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
Over 50 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 85,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
Calm is a small team of engineers solving large scale challenges. We currently operate a node.js monolith on a 300+ pod Kubernetes cluster to serve our high request volume. Help us take Calm's infrastructure to the exciting next level, powered by microservices. Be a key player in the exciting process of re-envisioning the hidden technology that powers the Calm app.
+ Own the implementation of core backend components and microservices
+ Thorough testing through unit and integration toolsets
+ Driving end-to-end implementations of innovative and new product features in a polyglot ecosystem
+ Work with internal devops to plan and provision the launch of new and existing microservices
+ Communicate with the product and client teams to shape the implementation of new features
You'll be effective if you:
* Strong CS fundamentals
* We do not hold strong ties to any specific coding language. We believe we should choose the right tool for the right job. Understanding the fundamentals is imperative to making informed decisions in new environments.
* Our current backend languages include: golang, nodejs, python, bash, php, yaml
* Our current frontend clients' languages include: swift, kotlin, java, objective c, react
* Desire to tackle complex analytical and algorithmic challenges
* Strong network understanding.
* Complete from the moment a packet leaves a remote client to the moment it causes a read on the deepest server resource.
* Implementation ownership.
* We are a small team that seamlessly meshes through mutual respect and trust. Test your code and make conscious design decisions.
* Flexibility - Calm is a fast moving start-up. We regularly try new things to see what our users love. Balancing implementation speed and perfect code is key to our business success.
* Humility - We AB test a vast majority of new ideas. Being wrong is inevitable. By designing features in a way to more deeply understand our customers we are able to make better informed decisions in the future
* Mission - We're here to make the world happier and healthier with more Calm. Every single person across the team is a visionary about that broader campaign.
* Competitive salary and equity
* Unlimited PTO
* We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
* Commuter benefits
* Life insurance and disability benefits
* Apple equipment
* Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
* Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
And much more!
Calm is a provider of a mobile app for meditation, sleep, and mental wellness.