Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Leads the efforts to expand the company's use of technology to enable and achieve the organization's goals and objectives. Manages the Performance and Capacity team to ensure that Service Providers deliver on the development and build of performance optimized applications, services and platforms. Leads the process of defining application capacity requirements based on forecasted business demand and ensure plans are defined and executed for appropriate application capacity management. Provides strategic view and leads the design, development, and implementation of technology models for enterprise-level applications and systems. Functions as escalation to resolve governance issues and sets the standards for service providers who are responsible for the actual hands-on delivery of services, managing outcomes and results.
Develops and communicates technical roadmaps and product standards and, develops and maintains enterprise technical roadmaps. Provides technical and administrative expertise to IT Plan, Build, Run teams; evaluates new vendor products and services with an eye for innovation. May lead Enterprise Architecture across multiple applications to address capacity constraints and improve performance.
* 10 years' in developing strategic plans, business requirement gathering/analysis, and system design and development.
* 5 years' experience developing solution architectures in varied technologies such as telecommunications, client server architectures, electronic commerce infrastructures, enterprise and workgroup server platforms, Web applications, portals, agile applications, etc.
* Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience/certifications.
* Advanced degree in computer science, information systems, or computer engineering.
* Experience in leading complex, cross-functional problem-solving initiatives.
* A broad understanding of all major technical platforms, technical architecture models; and enterprise architecture strategies.
* Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards.
* Solid grounding in core enterprise applications.
* Expert knowledge of programming language capabilities.
* Hands-on experience with application development tools.
* Strong knowledge of hardware and software evaluation principles and practice.
* Project planning and management experience.
* In-depth knowledge of architecture standards, methodologies, and processes.
* Understanding of change management and testing requirements, techniques, and tools.
* Experience with network, PC, and/or platform operating systems.
* Working knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
* Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
* Superior written and oral communication skills.
* Excellent technical architecture and technical support documentation skills.
* Experienced in conducting research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing the Performance & Capacity of Applications
* Leads the team to ensure application performance and sufficient capacity to meet agreed upon service levels
* Seeks ways to increase performance before there are problems
* Partners with the Business Partnership/Planning team to periodically assess business needs to determine capacity requirements
* Partners with the Infrastructure team to provide application capacity demand forecasts and expected infrastructure changes
* Produces and maintains a Capacity Plan for each application
* Provides capacity requirements for new or modified IT services
* Ensures that performance testing is carried out on new and modified IT services
* Maintains an overall understanding of current service capacity and trends
* Ensures that capacity-related incidents and problems are addressed
* Assesses the capacity impact of new change requests
* Participates on the Change Advisory Board (CAB) as needed
* Is responsible for monitoring application capacity levels, comparing actual levels against targets, and coordinating changes across teams to address shortfalls
* Develops methods and documentation to identify tuning opportunities and recommends implementation of tuning measures
* Translates customer requirements into specifications for the IT applications and infrastructure
* Drives process to assess, align, and documents new requirements for capacity
* Ensures capacity is sufficient to support business capacity requirements
* Oversees governance to make quantifiable capacity recommendations and validates that the recommendations meet expectations
* Evaluates performance of new/modified application technologies
Managing the Day-To-Day Enterprise Architecture
* Maintains in-depth knowledge of Marriott's strategic business plans.
* Documents and develops in-depth knowledge of the existing IT architecture/infrastructure, and technology portfolio.
* Develops and works with the managed service providers to manage the capacity plan.
* Develops and documents technology standards policies. Communicates to and works with the managed service providers to enforce policies.
* Conducts research on emerging technologies in support of infrastructure development efforts, and recommends technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and infrastructure flexibility.
* Develops documents, makes recommendations, and communicates plans for investing in IT infrastructure, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities.
* Reviews new and existing IT projects, systems designs, and procurement/outsourcing plans for compliance with IT standards and architectural plans.
* Works with the managed service providers to develop and execute test plans to check infrastructure and systems technical performance.
* Provides architectural, standards, and process support for definition and implementation of a consistent technical infrastructure.
* Monitors creation and maintenance of technical roadmaps.
* Leads establishment and communication of architecture standards and tools for performance and capacity.
* Leads coordination across Enterprise Application team to drive application performance and capacity.
* Establishes and verifies compliance with technical architecture standards, processes, principles, and methodologies.
* Governs and leads global architecture design, frameworks, and integration architecture for enterprise infrastructure in monolithic, distributed, and client server environments.
* Forecasts needs and skills requirements for technical architecture and design resources based on project priorities.
* Leads architecture risk assessments, documenting architecture risk and developing architecture risk mitigation plans for major development projects.
* Identifies appropriate life cycle management of technology tools and platforms.
* Define and implement an architecture risk assessment process for performance and capacity.
Building Successful Relationships
* Collaborates with end users, senior management, and managed service providers to define business requirements for complex systems development and gain buy-in for all infrastructure plans.
* Works with the managed service providers to design, develop, and monitor implementation of end-to-end integrated systems.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
* Champions the development of architecture associates to define and validate technical roadmaps and standards and to evaluate and seek professional talent.
* Provides architectural consulting expertise, direction, and assistance to technical associates.
* Verifies that effective leadership is in place and that succession bench strength is defined.
* Provides guidance to junior members of the staff.
* Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
* Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
* Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
* Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
* Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
* Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
* Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
* Strategy Execution - Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
* Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
* Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company's service standards.
* Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
* Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
* Developing Others - Supports the development of other's skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
* Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
* Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
* Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
* Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
* Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to identify technological opportunities and threats that could affect the future growth and survival of the business.
* Technology Life Cycle: Knowledge of the Life Cycle of technologies and how applications, infrastructure, and processes relate to these timelines.
* Development Methodologies: Knowledge of development methodologies as well as new/upcoming development methodologies.
* Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
* Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
* Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
* Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
* Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
* Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
* Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.