1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world's largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Team
We're responsible for keeping Scribd up, responsive, and secure. Our duties include configuration management with Chef, coordinating Kubernetes, big-data cluster wrangling with Hadoop, mitigating the logo-branded vulnerability du jour, wearing a DBA hat to the InnoDB rodeo, bomb-proofing the mad science lab that is our codebase and, very occasionally, sweeping up the pieces when everything blows up. (We don't let that last happen often.)
We work on almost every part of our application stack, from the servers and storage through the databases and caches to the application itself. We write code ourselves, and developers also come to us for technical guidance. You'll not simply operate the systems, but be part of the system-building process from the start.
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We're looking for engineers who share these views and are interested in contributing their knowledge, skills, and sound technical judgement to a growing engineering organization. In return, we offer interesting problems, plenty of opportunity to influence key technical decisions, and the chance to top the office pinball high score table.
Our tools and technologies
* Linux (primarily CentOS)
* Ruby (our core codebase is Rails), but with projects in Go and Scala too
* Kubernetes (on bare metal)
* MySQL (Percona), HBase and Elasticsearch
* Hadoop, Hive and Spark, all fed via Kafka
* Nagios/Icinga2, Graphite and Grafana
* Nginx, HAProxy and Varnish, to serve our content to the wider world
* Develop, operate, and troubleshoot the systems that keep Scribd alive and fast.
* Build, maintain and extend our automation. Quelling robot uprisings strictly optional.
* Pioneer, evaluate, and deploy new technologies for the entire engineering organization.
* Work in partnership with your peers on the product engineering teams.
* Be part of an on-call rotation with other members of the DevOps team.
* Work independently within a team environment to prioritize workload.
* 3-5+ years professional experience in an Engineering, Technical Operations, or DevOps role.
* Professional experience with at least part of our tech stack, but not necessarily every piece.
Why we work here
* We are located in downtown San Francisco, within walking distance of Caltrain and BART
* Health benefits: 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
* Generous PTO policy plus we close for the last week in December
* 401k matching
* Paid Parental leave
* Monthly wellness budget and fully paid membership to our onsite fitness facility
* Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
* Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
* Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station
* Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
* Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Santa Cruz, bowling, arcades, geocaching, ropes courses, etc.)
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.
Scribd is a digital library, featuring e-book subscription services on iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet.