TuneIn - Senior DevOps Data Engineer
Senior DevOps Data Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Engineering - Infrastructure
Apply for this job
Our mission is to deliver the world's best listening experiences. Every day we make good on that promise for millions of listeners through our flagship mobile and web applications along with more than 200 connected devices and services.
About TuneIn DevOps
The DevOps Team is responsible for providing the platform and tools that the Engineering team depends on for deploying and running TuneIn's applications and services in a highly reliable and scalable way. TuneIn embraces a focus on automation in order to increase test and release velocity and reliability, utilizing microservices to get new products and features into the hands of our customers as quickly as possible in a competitive market environment.
Additionally, we embed our team members with the various Engineering teams to be involved in product/feature planning, avoid unforeseen roadblocks, and ensure the right technologies are chosen to solve whatever challenges come TuneIn's way, in order to optimize performance of the platform. Current major technologies in use to enable the team and company include AWS, Kubernetes, ECS, Spinnaker, Hashicorp Terraform and Vault, TeamCity, Sumo Logic, Datadog, Jira, Confluence, and OpsGenie.
Who You Are
* You have a strong DevOps background and familiarity with the latest tools.
* You're passionate about using the right data storage technologies for the job - Relational databases, noSQL, object stores, key/value stores, and more.
* You love working with engineers to optimize how their code works with those data stores to ensure the highest performance, scalability, and resiliency.
* You like being an integral contributor and visionary in driving an organization forward technologically when you find new solutions to data problems.
* You believe in being nimble and failing fast as a means to help an organization turn quickly when requirements or scope changes.
* Your communication skills enable you to effectively embed yourself with other teams to work with them on making the right choices as they build services.
What You'll Do
* Audit and understand the variety of data technologies in use at TuneIn - From Aurora MySQL and DynamoDB, to Redis and RabbitMQ, to Hadoop and S3, and more.
* Participate in Engineering stakeholder meetings to understand requirements and provide feedback on data storage technologies in use, optimizing schemas and indexes, and ensure the right choices are made before code is shipped to the DevOps team for production deployment.
* Work with the DevOps team to select data storage technologies and providers, automate management of those services in AWS, Google Cloud, and more, using Terraform and other tools.
* Participate in other DevOps team projects as determined in sprint schedules - expand your skills by taking on other projects/tasks that need solving.
* Work with the NOC team to develop the right monitoring - alerts, thresholds, performance indicators - for all of TuneIn's data storage technologies so that the company can be proactive about addressing performance or other issues before they affect our customers.
* Participate in an on-call rotation roughly every four weeks (alternating primary and secondary)
* 5+ years of experience with MySQL (AWS Aurora or other) as a Database Engineer - designing database schemas, optimizing queries, joins, indexes, stored procedures, and more.
* 5+ years of experience with NoSQL technologies - key/value stores, object stores, and other big data platforms.
* Demonstrated expertise in understanding when to use which technology based on type of data.
* 3+ years of experience in a DevOps team that uses agile development practices.
* 2+ years of experience building Cloud-based infrastructure with Hashicorp products like Terraform, Vault, and Packer.
Bringing together a wide collection of sports, music, news and podcasts - including live, on-demand and original content - TuneIn lets people find what they love while helping them discover new things. TuneIn serves more than 75 million monthly active users, across the globe, on hundreds of devices, including smartphones, desktop, connected devices, connected autos, game consoles and smart speakers, like Sonos, Bose SoundTouch, Amazon Echo and Google Home. TuneIn Premium subscribers can listen to the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and commercial-free music stations. With venture funding from Comcast Ventures, IVP, Sequoia Capital, Causeway, General Catalyst Partners, Icon Ventures, and Marker LLC, TuneIn is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
TuneIn is an audio streaming service delivering live news, radio, sports, music, and podcasts.