The Desktop Engineer is primarily responsible for providing maintenance, support and enhancement for Atlas Air's enterprise desktop environment. Installs new software releases and system upgrades, evaluates and installs patches, and resolves software related problems. The responsibilities include defining the base workstation standards, workstation deployment methods, and remote management capabilities. Provides technical expertise to evaluate, install and maintain both hardware and software solutions to accurately meet the needs of our customers on a timely basis.
* The Desktop Engineer leads the development of the desktop strategy.
* Provides technical expertise to evaluate, install and maintain both hardware and software solutions to accurately meet the needs of our customers on a timely basis.
* Develops the base desktop standards and desktop workstation deployment methods.
* Follows system-wide server, workstation, networking and integration standards, policies and procedures.
* Participates in activities to evaluate new technology developments, applications and end-point solutions. Performs tasks associated with evaluation, design, installation, configuration, upgrades, testing, documentation, and expansion for desktop, laptop, management, operating technologies including virtualization strategies.
* Cross-trains technical support specialists for the desktop deployment process. Maintains professional knowledge of current trends and developments in the information technology field. Manages support vendors with major projects such as desktop refreshes.
* Works with Security and Network Operations staff to develop policies and procedures related to the implementation and support of the desktop environment. Maintains accurate documentation for all devices consistent with Atlas Air policies.
* Works with other technology staff for Application Development projects and participates in project planning. Gathers pertinent information to identify customer's project scope. Manages project deadlines and reports on budgetary concerns.
* Serves as point of escalation for helpdesk and provides Level II and III support for hardware and OS related incidents by determining appropriate solutions to problems including software, hardware, network, and system integration requirements. Gives technical assistance to customers and management as needed.
* Demonstrates an advanced level of technical knowledge and provides direction and support to team members regarding complex technical problems.
* Creates, modifies and documents complex desktop image design defaults, scripted processes and image maintenance procedures. Works in conjunction with internal or external department groups in setting hardware and software standards.
* Creates and maintains Help Desk Documentation for supported desktop technologies and procedures with advanced technical solutions or problem resolution.
* Follows the established standards for installing, configuring and/or removing hardware or software (change control process). Contributes to the development of new enterprise standards and/or the modification of existing standards. Provides specifications for hardware such as additional disk drives, adapters, memory cards, printers, print servers and peripherals.
* Desktop includes desktop computers, laptop computers, portable computer carts, Blackberries, and Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) devices as identified by the current supported devices.
* Serves as secondary point of contact for mobile devices.
* Responsible for tracking reliability of desktop images by reviewing help desk tickets relating to hardware inquires
* Proactive review and testing of OS and installed applications for patching vulnerabilities
* Participates in desktop-related enterprise-wide projects such as:
* Desktop Refresh Project (HDQ, Domestic and International)
* AppSense Deployment / Development / Maintenance
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Focus on Virtualization Technology; hands on experience Citrix (XenApp) and VMware (View) is a plus.
* Strong desktop management software is necessary. Has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within an enterprise environment.
* Primary job functions require exercising independent judgment.
* Projects an image of professionalism in communication, appearance and conduct.
* Intermediate networking skills, education or corresponding work experience.
* Excellent communication and organizational skills
* BS or BA degree in computer science or related technical field preferred, or a corresponding number of years' experience in IT.
* Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to communicate ideas and problem resolutions effectively.
About Atlas Air
Atlas Air Worldwide is a leading global provider of outsourced aircraft and aviation operating solutions.