Purpose of JobLeads teams and partners through the qualitative research process, inspiring a human-centered design approaches and outcomes that serve the USAA membership by furthering their financial security. Develops design best practices, advises on methods, guides multiple teams and leans in to co-perform activities that help facilitate hands-on design research. Leverages effective and actionable insights that are best delivered as relevant, visual and emotional human stories, contributed to and easily understood by anyone on the team. Applies a range of research approaches including generative qualitative inquiry, participatory design, cognitive walkthroughs and concept feedback. Utilizes various methods at different points along the design process to answer different types of questions. Synthesizes input to guide less experienced teams from utterances to insights, collaborates to produce research findings that will inform and inspire strategic decisions and design solutions.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA'S CHIEF DESIGN OFFICE
USAA has been powering innovation with empathy for nearly 100 years. Within the Chief Design Office (CDO), we reaffirm our commitment to build for the future and humanize the digital experience. CDO is comprised of 200+ multi-disciplinary designers, teachers, students, empathizers, explorers, doodlers, and even unicyclists. Spanning three locations (San Antonio, Austin and Plano), we have varied backgrounds across all design disciplines, from self-taught to advanced degrees.
As designers at USAA, we are measured by delivering on our mission: to help facilitate the financial security of our members. With access to millions of USAA members, we craft informed solutions through human-centered design that demonstrate value and meaning based on real needs. We continually engage our business partners and members to ensure we are focused on the right solutions. As technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace, we recognize the need to not only stay current, but also look beyond, all for the benefit of our members.
* Under minimal supervision leads, facilitates and partners with teams through the qualitative research process, inspiring a human-centered design approach and outcomes that serve the USAA membership by furthering their financial security.
* Determines the appropriate research methodologies, design and synthesis of research using insights to define the problem and establish criteria for making informed design decisions.
* Serves as key resource to guide teams through Design Research methods. Spreads curiosity and arms others with empathy. Practices and trains others in captivating storytelling. Equips teams with the tools to find the customer voice.
* Defines and publishes research and synthesis best practices. Supports the development and maintains academic relationships for the purposes of research.
* Collaborates to define and build a set of design research toolkits for teams to leverage.
* Mentors and provides guidance to peers and teams; navigates through obstacles to resolve escalated issues of an unusual nature.
* Bachelor's Degree, OR, 4 additional years of related design experience.
* 6 or more years of Design Research or related experience required.
* Experience in design research activities including planning, moderation, analysis and synthesis, insight translation and communication of findings required.
* Advanced knowledge and demonstrated application of design research and synthesis methods required.
* Advanced knowledge in design research industry practices and emerging trends required.
* Broad knowledge and practice of the spectrum of qualitative user research methodologies with an emphasis on generative research in both lab and field settings
* Ability to coach and guide non-researchers in the practice
* Experience leading cross-functional teams
* Experience in an Agile environment
* Remote user testing application knowledge (UserZoom, UserTesting.com)
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.