Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company's platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world's 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes' Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine's 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we're looking for:
You're ready to take the next step in your Data Science career - to a fast-moving, successful company building out their world class player matching system! You're passionate about data and finding patterns and insights that others often overlook. You're looking to have a big impact on a small team. You're oozing with curiosity and want to find new and novel ways to leverage your current skill set. You're an excellent communicator and know that you grow faster from being able to mentor others.
What You'll Do:
* Ability to work Independently as well as take on data scientist leadership role, mentor junior data scientist and help guide team's technical direction.
* Work on a platform level player matching system that impacts thousands of games.
* Implement models for anomaly and fraud detection.
* Building or adapting recommendation system
* Building models to work on potential NLP use cases
* Evaluate model applications holistically, from design through development, implementation, and ongoing monitoring and maintenance
* Ensure models are performant, well tested and compliant with best practices
* Communicate your findings to a larger business audience. Be the voice of statistical rigor across the entire organization
* Collaborate with other engineering teams to have your algorithms implemented in production
* Bachelor's Degree plus 4 years of experience in data analytics, or Master's Degree, or PhD
* At least 2 year of experience in Programming experience (Python, R, Scala, Conda/Anaconda, Spark,or more)
* At least 2 year of experience with machine learning
* At least 2 year of experience with relational databases
* 2+ years analyzing customer behavior
* Experience building and training predictive models
* Working knowledge of statistics
* Basic understanding of optimization methodologies
* Good understanding of A/B testing methodologies
* PhD in "STEM" field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics)
* Prior experience in statistical algorithm design
* Experience working with AWS
* At least 4 years' experience in Python, Scala, or R
* At least 4 years' experience with machine learning
* At least 4 years' experience with SQL
* Prior experience in gaming
* Prior experience in finance
* Prior experience in recommendation engine
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Skillz is a cash tournament platform for mobile games of skill, allowing players to win rights, cash and other prizes.