Faire is using machine learning to change wholesale and help local retailers compete with Amazon and the big box stores. Our experienced data scientists and machine learning engineers are tackling recommendations, ranking, search, and underwriting, helping local retail thrive!
As our first outside data scientist hire, you will be instrumental in building out this new discipline in a high-growth startup. You can help build our team and shape the direction of a crucial function in a high-volume b2b marketplace. We need someone who can take a unique, rich, and fast-growing set of data, and find answers that will help guide our growth.
Which brands are doing well and where? Which products will be a bestseller for which retailer? How high and how tight can you get that confidence interval? What other great insights can you surprise us with?
We're looking for someone who's comfortable on the cutting edge of mathematical and programmatic state of the art. You're happy working autonomously and delivering results without micromanagement. You wake up ready to take a problem end-to-end, dive into the guts of our information-rich databases, and produce actionable insights. You can't wait to push the boundaries and discover the next big thing, then share it with your peers. You are, or will be, world-class and help lead the wider data community. Faire will soon be known as a top destination for data scientists and machine learning, and you will help take us there!
* PhD with 1-2+ years of industry experience, or MSc (minimum) and 3-5+ years of industry experience
* An MS or PhD in any mathematical or statistical subject, e.g.: mathematics, statistics, computer science, astrophysics, neuroscience, operations research, economics, any of the physical sciences
* Strong skills in statistics, probability, and/or machine learning
* A track record of performing data science. The tooling/language isn't important. (e.g., numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, R, Julia, etc.)
* An excitement and willingness to learn new tools and techniques
* Experience with relational databases and SQL
* Relentless resourcefulness and the ability to thrive in a startup -- you're willing to do what needs to be done for the success of your team
* The ability to self-regulate and get stuff done with minimal direct supervision
* An intense curiosity and need to figure things out
* A demonstrated ability to communicate statistical findings visually (i.e., data visualization -- a big plus)
* Strong communication skills and the ability to work with others in a closely collaborative team environment.
* The ability to take the complex and make it as simple as possible, but not simpler (see Einstein and Occam)
What We Offer:
* We're small. You will feel a real sense of ownership over projects, because you might be the only one working on them!
* We're growing fast. You will get in on the ground floor of something that's going to be special.
* We're funded by the best VCs in the world.
* Our founding team is experienced and led the development of one of the top 25 apps in the US appstore (Square Cash).
* Great technology stack. It's fun to work with the best tools and the latest software.
* The business makes sense. It's straightforward, provides clear value to both store owners and to makers. You get to help change an entire industry for the better.
* It's beautiful. Work on something that's well-designed, following the footsteps of Apple and Square.
Faire is an innovative online marketplace that uses machine learning to match local retailers with the makers of products that uniquely fit their stores. We are using the power of technology to connect makers and boutiques from all over the world, building a thriving community of over 10,000 small business owners.
Our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling. It's a way of life that offers people a level of autonomy and fulfillment that's become difficult to find elsewhere in our economy. Most of our customers have left behind jobs they hated to take a chance on themselves. We want to make sure their boldness and self-belief gets rewarded.
This mission also extends to the way we are building the company. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Faire (formerly known as Indigo Fair) is a provider of a wholesale marketplace that connects local retailers with new brands.