The Sr Data Scientist job is responsible for executing the full-scope of advanced analytic techniques with the objectives of creating causal inferences, predictions, and recommendations for improvements to business processes, and the metrics to monitor those improvements. This position requires a strong command of techniques and algorithms as well as a demonstrated practical ability to determine where to invest time, synthesize actionable findings across diverse assignments, and present these findings to an audience with varying levels of background in analytics.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Plan and lead the execution of the analytics life-cycle, leveraging significant experience in leading this type of work in previous roles * Survey varied data sources in relational databases, Hadoop, flat files, and external sources for analytic relevance * Execute the full-scope of advanced analytic techniques * Perform problem formulation, requirements analysis, and planning * Responsible for data surveying, profiling, and pre-processing * Model data management for validation (e.g. holdout, cross-validation) * Select algorithm and execution * Responsible for interpretation of results - for both causal inferences and predictive effectiveness * Synthesize appropriate recommendations for action and changes * Present findings, suggested actions and changes to a broad audience, and manage follow-ups and execution * Help teach and explain techniques and tools used to a broad set of business-intelligence, data, and analytics professionals with varied backgrounds * Exercise thought leadership and discretion in tailoring the tools, approaches, and data used to meet the needs of the particular problem * Perform other duties as required
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
* Ability to read, write, speak and understand English * Expert-level skills and experience with R (required) and/or Python (desired) (including relevant packages) in support of advanced analytics * Advanced-level skills with relational databases, including SQL and utilizing data stored in complex schemas * Expert-level logical and analytic skills * Broad experience and solid theoretical foundation on the modeling process using a variety of algorithms * Data profiling, distributions, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing * Holdout for testing, cross-validation * Data pre-processing, exploratory data analysis using a variety of techniques * Regression and classification using linear models, GLMs, and tree-based methods * Interpretation of model results, consideration of causality, treatment of multicollinearity * Strong synthesis and presentation skills * Ability to communicate results and recommendations to a wide variety of audiences * Basic understanding of data architecture, data warehouse and data marts * Experience in the telecommunications industry, or two other consumer-based industries * Demonstrated ability and desire to continually expand skill set, and learn from and teach others
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
* Experience with Teradata: SQL, UDFs, interpreting explain plans, basic performance-tuning, and use of database catalog * Operations-research background, in particular focused on large labor operations such as field ops, technical support, and sales * Background with Cable systems and operations * Experience with Hadoop, particularly HIVE and Spark * Knowledge of other relevant tools such as SAS, SPSS, Alteryx, Linux * Knowledge of other relevant techniques such as text analysis and text mining * Familiarity with the open-source ecosystems surrounding R (CRAN), Python (PyPi), and/or Hadoop
Master's degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, operations research or other quantitatively-focus field
Related Work Experience
* 10+ years of Statistical Analysis * 8+ years of Business Analysis * 8+ years of SQL/R/SAS Programming * 2+ years of Database Design or Database Modeling
* Office environment * Travel as required
Let your dream job find you.
Sign up to start matching with top companies. It’s fast and free.