Senior Data Scientist
* Long Beach, CA
Our mission is simple: Keeping Seniors Healthy and Independent-that's been our mission for almost 40 years. Rated as one of the top Medicare Advantage plans in California, SCAN Health Plan employees are passionate about what they do. Understanding that success is based on achieving the mission, SCAN employees are afforded with the training and tools necessary to do their jobs and they are rewarded for their efforts and recognized as experts in their fields. Ask anyone who works here and we'll proudly tell you that SCAN's commitment has never wavered. We are as steadfast in our pledge to help our members live healthy and independent lives.
The Sr. Data Scientist leads SCAN's consumer insights analytic efforts through NLP/Speech analysis of structured and unstructured Voice of the Customer data, external sources of data, and operational data. This role will design and develop innovative and data-driven exploratory analysis as well as predictive and decision models to identify consumer insights and solve SCAN's strategic advanced analytics priorities. The role will play a lead role in developing new algorithms and/or modify existing algorithms to solve complicated business problems. In addition, the role is required to experiment with different types of algorithms and models, analyze performances and identify best algorithms to employ.
This role will also mentor Data Scientists.
* Leads the requirements gathering, design and development of advanced analytics such as machine learning, text analytics, speech analytics, and data munging to solve complex business problems at a strategic and at an operational level. Will be able to collect business requirements, define the use case and map complicated business problems into modeling task
* Develops engines/predictive models to predict specific business outcomes related to complex business problems, SCAN strategic artificial intelligence priorities, Voluntary Disenrollment, MSAT and Net Promoter Score. This includes designing the model, testing the model, training the model and maintaining the model to driver richer insights.
* Interacts with IT and business stakeholders at various levels of the organization to define the business use cases and address how analytics can solve the business use cases and also identify opportunities for optimization. This includes ability to create presentations to tell the story behind the data, and represent the business or IT perspective in appropriate instances.
* Act as the technical lead responsible for all advanced analytics models created as part of the Consumer Insights team and SCAN's strategic efforts to utilize AI to execute on the strategy
* Connects structured and unstructured data across the organization quickly to provided time sensitive data insights. Data sources including operational data, prospect data, call center data, core admin data, provider data, VOC data, clinical data, and external data.
* Manages multiple projects by effectively prioritizing work and communicating workload issues to management.
* Applies a methodological approach that implements analytics to efficiently frame and solve complex business problems.
* Advise on best practices and statistical methods for evaluating and measuring data.
* Mentors other Data Scientists to grow their skills sets and careers.
* Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
* Contributes to team effort by maintaining collegial, collaborative relationships.
* Actively supports the achievement of SCAN's Vision and Goals.
* Master's Degree in statistics, mathematics, computer science, or related field of study required.
* Ph.D. in statistics, mathematics, computer science, physics or related field of study preferred.
* 5 + years of machine learning techniques and algorithms such as k-NN, Naïve Bayes,SVM, Decision Forests, Boosting, Ensembling, Neural Networks, etc.
* Experience with common data science / ML toolkits such as NumPy, SciPy, Scikit-Learn, Tensor Flow, Torch,etc
* 6+ years of experience using quantitative methods: Modeling, machine learning, feature creation, construct analysis, multivariate statistical analysis and model building, and predictive modeling.
* Expertise in data mining algorithms and statistical modeling techniques such as clustering, classification, regression, decision trees, neural nets, support vector machines, anomaly detection, sequential pattern discovery and text mining.
* 4+ years of experience writing SQL code in relational database environment.
* 5+ years of experience writing statistically-related code in 'R', Python, or Matlab (or equivalent), SAS. with focus on clarity, reproducibility and reusability
* Proficiency working with public and private external data, such as: Nielsen, Axioms, and CMS data.
* Advanced knowledge of Text analytics techniques in a scripting language required
* Knowledge of Tableau is a highly preferred for data visualization and analysis.
* Clinical code knowledge related to claims/utilization, preferred.
* Experience in a Medicare Advantage environment, preferred.
What's in it for you?
* A competitive compensation and benefits program
* An annual employee bonus program
* Robust Wellness Program
* Generous paid-time-off (PTO)
* Ten paid holidays per year
* Excellent 403(b) Saving Plan, providing up to 4 % match and vesting after three years
* Casual attire
* Robust employee recognition program
* Tuition reimbursement
* A Work - life balance and much more!
We're always looking for talented people to join our team!
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply now!
SCAN is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment