Introduction: The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (JH APL), an independent, nonprofit organization that conducts essential research, development, and systems engineering to address national security challenges, located in central Maryland is seeking a creative Senior Data Scientist to join a large systems engineering group of technical staff who take pride in achieving practical, operationally sound solutions to complex problems, with a focus on innovation, affordability, and timeliness.
Job Summary: The Command, Control, and Communications Group (A4F) is looking for a highly capable, motivated, and enthusiastic individual with a strong technical background to take on the role of Senior Data Scientist. The Senior Data Scientist will help develop novel techniques for real-world defense challenges and promote a climate conducive to intellectual curiosity, creativity, innovation, collaboration, growth, life-long learning, and productivity.
* Develop and apply advanced algorithms in machine learning, statistical analysis, artificial intelligence, and software development to solve complex defense challenges. Identify and apply appropriate artificial intelligence and machine learning methodologies, algorithms, processes, models, and architectures to extract critical insights from large data sets. Contribute to software prototyping efforts. (70%)
* Lead research and development efforts to construct and mature new concepts, processes, and architectures for large-scale and complex data analysis in support of real-world defense applications. (20%)
* Share knowledge by documenting findings in papers, presentations, and technical reports. Provide findings to technical staff, management and Government decision makers and publish research findings in peer-reviewed journal articles. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
* PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Computer Engineering, Information Science, Statistics, or related field
* Five years of demonstrated experience in communications and network systems engineering
* Hands-on experience with two or more of R, Python, MATLAB, Java, C/C and knowledge of object-oriented software principles
* Proficient in one or more of machine learning areas such as neural networks, reinforcement learning, adversarial learning, supervised machine learning, or decision trees
* Proficient with relational databases and writing complex queries in SQL
* Creative problem solver with track record of generating innovative ideas
* Ability to rapidly learn requirements of new domains and develop practical solutions to address emerging challenges
* Ability to work effectively as a technical leader or as part of a multidisciplinary team
* Excellent communication, technical and analytical skills
* Active SECRET clearance or ability to obtain INTERIM SECRET clearance.
* Experience with Apache Hadoop/Spark, Hive, Pig, and Big Data querying
* Experience with Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3)
* Demonstrated successful leadership experience
* Knowledge of DoD communications systems
* Active TOP SECRET clearance
Special Working Conditions: Travel (up to 10%) to local and remote Government and contractor facilities for meetings and reviews as necessary. Travel to support test events involving extended or evening hours, travel aboard ships and to field site activities.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a Government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.