University of Washington
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
For more information on the eScience Institute, visit the eScience website. As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a "Great College to Work For" for five consecutive years.
The eScience Institute at the University of Washington is seeking outstanding candidates for the position of Senior Data Scientist (Research Scientist - Senior). The ideal candidate will have expertise in one or more areas related to data science (machine learning, statistics, databases, large-scale data systems, visualization, and interfaces that facilitate large-scale data understanding), demonstrated experience in software engineering and open-source software, and demonstrated ability to use these skills to solve problems in an applied domain discipline. Aimed at top-notch candidates, this position offers the opportunity for world-class applied research - in collaboration with some of the best researchers in the world - tackling challenging data science problems in multiple domains.
The eScience Institute's mission is to engage researchers across disciplines in developing and applying advanced computational methods and tools to real world problems in data-driven science and research. With a newly announced sustainable core funding from the University of Washington and existing external funding from the Gordon and Betty Moore and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundations, we are significantly advancing our mission.
In this role, the Senior Data Scientist will both plan and execute data science research, translate research results into solutions and produce practical applications that will deliver lasting impact across domains. Senior Data Scientists are expected to teach data science skills and methods through office hours, technical workshops, tutorials, and Incubator projects. Research projects will be sourced through joint collaborations with eScience faculty and other researchers, and through the independent research goals of the applicant. Working as part of an existing team, successful candidates will have ample opportunity to publish their research, pursue external funding with collaborators across disciplines, and contribute to collaborative software development, innovative technical consulting, development and delivery of training, and other activities designed to advance the research and practice of data-driven and data-intensive discovery across fields.
Successful candidates will have demonstrable experience in one or more applications of data science techniques and technologies - e.g. databases and data management technologies, machine learning and modern statistical methods, or data presentation and visualization.
* Contribute to significant open source software projects using appropriate technologies in large-scale data management, machine learning and statistics, interactive visualization, specialized data presentation interfaces, and/or other data science technique.
* Produce research products such as well-documented algorithms and code, software, and research publications.
* Contribute to the Institute research program by seeking grants from both traditional agencies and novel channels to develop analytical and computational tools. Serve as the principle investigator (PI) or Co-PI on the projects funded by grants.
* Work to release open source software and open data, help ensure scientific reproducibility of all results, and contribute to a "culture of reproducibility" across campus.
* Review and evaluate potential projects for technical merit and feasibility.
* Organize and conduct workshops and training events in data science techniques and technologies for diverse target audiences.
* Meet with potential collaborators to clarify goals, identify collaboration opportunities and recommend solutions.
* Participate in Institute sponsor reporting and annual retreat activities.
* Prepare and deliver presentations on significant results, both internally and externally, representing the eScience Institute as well as specific projects.
* Develop web materials communicating significant results, best practices and case studies with specific technologies, and documentation for significant software.
* Advance a reputation outside of UW for excellence in data science methods and practice, contributing to the Institute's overall portfolio of successful projects and programs.
* PhD or equivalent in any discipline, with a strong computational background
* A minimum of 6 years of experience in programming and software engineering and/or advanced statistical methods including experience:
* Applying one or more programming languages to construct full scientific pipelines, from data ingestion / clean-up to modeling, to visualization and analysis.
* Collaborating and coordinating work via an online platform, such as GitHub, GitLab, or BitBucket, and distributed revision control.
* Skills to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing
* Strong capacity for teamwork, collaborative, critical thinking, and attention to detail.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
* A successful research track record, especially through collaborations outside one's own field, as evidenced by joint publications, joint grants, and collaborative software outputs
* Leadership in collaborative projects in open source software development
* Experience engaging with highly technical researchers across a variety of methodological fields, research domains, and computational platforms.
* Experience with seeking extramural funding to support research, education and training programs.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select "Apply to this position". Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your "My Jobs" page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, your experiences, perspectives and unique identities will be honored at the University of Washington. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable, and welcoming.
About University of Washington
University of Washington is an educational institution that provides undergraduate, graduate, and research programs.