Metromile is the leading pay-per-mile car insurance company in the U.S. We're disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category by offering an entirely new type of insurance that charges customers based on the miles they drive. We believe paying for what you use is more fair and more affordable. With pay-per-mile car insurance, low-mileage drivers see huge savings. We also believe in the power of data science and machine learning to make car insurance better and less complicated.
We're proud to say that Metromile has been named on Glassdoor's Best Place to Work in their 2018 Employees' Choice Awards list for the second year in a row!
About the role:
Metromile is on the cusp of implementing a new data warehousing solution, to help build the next generation of Data & Analytics platform. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn a lot and grow your career, while working in the cutting-edge space of using Telematics data to drive Insurance decisions.
Metromile is seeking an experienced Data Engineer with proven experience in designing data ingestion pipelines to join our Data & Analytics team. This role would contribute to the vision for data infrastructure and business intelligence tools, architect table schemas and data storage, upgrade our existing data infrastructure, implement new data engineering solutions, and work to gather and store new data from across the company to power our decision making processes.
This role would work predominantly with the Analysts, SME's and other data engineers on the team, but would also allow for opportunities to architect how data is managed across the entire company, giving qualified candidates the chance to be involved in a large variety of projects. Because of the important role that data plays in making decisions within the company, this role is at the critical intersection of driving the future of our business while also ensuring that day-to-day operations continue to be successful.
* Design data models, data ingestion pipelines and implement scalable ETL / ELT processes.
* Collaborate with partners across business functions to define, implement and maintain vital business metrics.
* Architect database, data integration processes and table optimizations.
* Engage in self-driven investigation into new and upcoming technologies/techniques for data management and retrieval.
* Some familiarity with data serialization formats such as json, avro, and protobuf is a nice to have.
* 3-5+ years professional experience.
* Experience with toolsets available in the Cloud (AWS / Azure / GCP etc) used for Data Storage, Ingestion.
* Possess expertise in designing data ingestion pipelines.
* Strong software development fundamentals in Java and Python for building and shipping production data pipelines.
* Expert knowledge of databases, specifically relational (e.g. SQL), column store (e.g. Redshift/Snowflake). Experience with unstructured (HBase/Cassandra) is a nice to have.
* Experience with configuration driven platforms (e.g. Airflow).
Nice to have:
* Experience with storage and processing of sensor data (for example GPS time series) from external systems.
* You have some experience with touch point/experimentation systems: Segment, Mixpanel, Optimizely
* Familiarity with data replication (MySQL, Postgres etc) and any solutions like StitchData or Fivetran.
* Experience implementing Enterprise Container Platforms like Docker.
What's in it for you:
* Competitive salary plus equity
* Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
* Commuter and well-being benefits
* Generous parental leave
* Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
* Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
* Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
MetroMile is a variably-priced, pay-per-mile car insurance provider that charges customers for the actual miles they drive.