Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you're watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today's forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We're changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
The Mapbox platform powers over 45,000 apps, reaches over a half billion people each month, and processes data at petabyte scale. As a leader in the location services space, Mapbox continues to grow its platform and team at an exciting pace as we strive to change the way we understand and move about our planet.
Our Telemetry team makes sense of the 200 million miles worth of movement data we receive each day - turning it into traffic models, detected roadway incidents, and more. As a data engineer on the Telemetry team you'll work on critical realtime systems with enormous volumes of data. We're looking for someone who can turn a fuzzy problem into a concrete solution, and coach others on the team to do the same.
What You'll Do
* Build and maintain secure large scale HTTP API servers
* Architect, build and maintain high performance data pipelines to ingest real time location data at scale
* Collaborate with our Mobile teams to support rapid SDK iterations and support our growing data ingestion
* Collaborate with our Telemetry engineers to support the creation of anonymized telemetry data products like real time traffic and congestion
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
* Minimum of 4+ years experience in a data engineering or equivalent type role
* A highly autonomous and self-driven approach
* A solid engineering foundation and an interest in data
* Experience building and maintaining ingestion data pipelines
* Ability to communicate how complex systems work, and how tools can be applied to challenging data processing problems
* Understanding of web architecture, HTTP protocols and SSL
* Experience using tools like Hadoop, Spark and AWS
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
* We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
* We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
* We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
* We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Mapbox is a provider of a mapping platform for designers and developers.