Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you're watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today's forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We're changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
The Geodata team normalizes and conflates multiple data sources into consumable, high-quality data layers such as the road network, places of interest (POIs), buildings, places for internal and external customers. We ensure high-quality by first maintaining a standardized specification for all map layers that our internal customers like the Navigation, Maps and Search division rely on. These layers are maintained in a data warehouse, which is updated daily and preprocessed, filtered, conflated, and transformed into different formats for respective consumers. The Geodata team is at the core of building the AI map at Mapbox by integrating features extracted from road side or aerial imagery as well as data derivatives of the 225M miles of anonymized traffic data Mapbox receives per day.
We are built on top of AWS. We use tools like Airflow for job orchestration and automate our tasks using Lambda, ECS and PySpark applications on Qubole. We store our data in S3 and are heavy users of Hive. We use Amazon Athena to provide and measure our operational and qualitative metrics. We never shy away from building our own internal tools to accelerate our workflows.
What You'll Do
* Work with many geospatial data sets, specifically road networks, buildings, POI and address data
* Implement distributed pipelines using Airflow and Spark to process geospatial data
* Integrate third party data sources from different geographic areas into the basemap
* Interface with engineers from other teams to analyze their needs for geospatial data and solve their data problems
* Implement automated quality metrics to ensure we are continuously delivering high quality data to our customers
* Participating in design and code reviews
* Mentor other software developers to develop all aspects of their engineering skill sets
* Create new data products by aggregating proprietary sources and derived data from sensors and aerial imagery
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
* 3+ years of working software experience
* Experience with AWS or another cloud provider.
* Proficiency in a query language like SQL
* Strong experience with data processing and developed judgement to implement new data pipelines and develop best practices around it.
* Familiarity working with Spark or other Hadoop based technologies
* Familiarity with CI/CD processes
* Familiarity handling processing and normalizing many different datasets into a single coherent product.
* Ability to communicate complex concepts to both peers and leadership. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Experience with introducing quality and operational metrics into a data ETL pipeline.
* High performing team player that can create consensus.
* Deliver key results quickly and resolve ambiguity in the customer's favor.
* Ability and willingness pivot to new languages, skills, techniques quickly.
What We Value
* We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
* We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
* We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
* We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Mapbox is a provider of a mapping platform for designers and developers.