W. R. Berkley Corporation
Founded in 1967, W. R. Berkley Corporation has grown from a small investment management firm into one of the largest commercial lines property and casualty insurers in the United States.
Along the way, we've been listed on the New York Stock Exchange, seen our revenue soar well past $7 billion, and become a well-respected Fortune 500 Company.
Today, the Berkley brand comprises 54 Berkley companies worldwide. Still managed by our founder and largest shareholder, W. R. Berkley Corporation is well-positioned to respond to opportunities for future growth.
In April 2017, W. R. Berkley Corporation celebrated the 50th anniversary of its founding.
This position provides support for various member companies of Berkley Shared Services. The position involves gathering business requirements; development of custom spreadsheets, databases, and reports; communication and interaction with both internal and external resources; support of statistical reporting initiatives to include development of SQL queries to develop data sets for individual statistical reports; data conversion and reconciliation; application of a thorough testing methodology; and special projects as assigned.
* Participate in all phases of the development life cycle for assigned projects.
* Define business requirements for projects, as assigned.
* Define testing methodologies, test plans, test cases, and expected results for implemented systems.
* Execute tests and document results.
* Assist in analysis of rate and rule changes to provide member companies prospective estimates of regulatory changes in the platform.
* Develop and maintain statistical reporting data queries in DB2 and SQL Server to transform relational data into reportable data for annual, quarterly, and monthly state reporting needs.
* Coordinate with W.R. Berkley Compliance unit in developing requirements and timelines of statistical reporting data output.
* Assist in analysis of statistical reporting data, including comparison with General Ledger and Annual Statement data sources to ensure accuracy and completeness of reports.
* Conduct research and analyze competitor filings as needed to support development of new rating rules on the Shared platform.
* Assists in the development, maintenance, and oversight of various databases, software, and other technological tools in support of the overall Berkley Shared Services platform.
* Develops effective working relationships with our customers and Shared Services teams through a demonstrated degree of knowledge, professionalism and enthusiasm.
* Other duties as assigned.
* 2+ years of experience in a data development experience in IT or MIS position; insurance experience preferred.
* High level of proficiency in Excel, Access, and relational databases (such as SQL Server or IBM DB2) is required.
* Exposure to Tableau, VBA, R programming a plus
* Ability to respond to common inquires or complaints from members of the business communities.
* Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
* Strong project management, organization and planning skills.
* Ability to quickly assimilate and learn new systems and technologies.
* Multi line property and casualty insurance knowledge preferred.
* Familiarity with statutory reporting exhibits included in the NAIC Annual and Quarterly Statement.
* Demonstrated experience in effective collaboration and providing a high degree of customer satisfaction.
* Ability to effectively work in an environment with competing demands resources, time, and priorities
* Bachelor degree or equivalent; preferably in actuarial science, math or computer science.
About W. R. Berkley Corporation
W. R. Berkley is a financial services company focused on the property and casualty insurance business.