AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. Our growth platforms are doing extremely well, and the impact of our older products decline is starting to reduce. And, with the potential of our pipeline and new medicines, we can be confident in our ability to sustain growth for years to come and make an even bigger difference to patients around the world.
At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Our vision of a great place to work is one in which all our employees are engaged and inspired by a clear shared purpose and a compelling strategy; where they are encouraged to perform and develop to their full potential; and where they are supported by the right organisation design, culture, technology and processes.
As a Data & Analytics engineer you will support solution development, provide technical leadership, and take responsibility for delivery. You are a data professional with a broad range of knowledge and experience across data & analytics, with significant depth in at least one technical area. You will work almost exclusively with AWS services. You will join a team that has delivered cloud solutions, such as the development of auto-scaling data integration and analytic platform. Similarly, we have built an automated cloud ETL test harness which integrates with our evolving CI/CD processes. We have an exciting pipeline of work, so you might be developing a data hub processing terabytes of clinical trial data, the world's largest genomics platform, a federated reporting capability, a new tax analytics platform, or improvements to any of our existing analytics solutions.
You'll be part of a team of engineers who work closely with IT colleagues in UK, US, Sweden, India and Mexico. We have business partners and team members spread globally, so you would need a collaborative delivery approach to be successful. We prefer to use Agile methodologies but choose the appropriate approach for the project. You will provide technical leadership throughout our software development lifecycle, from the initial development of a technical design based on agreed architecture, right through to service. Do you have a real passion for delivering well engineered data and analytics solutions? Because this will make you stand out from other specialists.
* Deliver cost effective, automated solutions in the biomedical imaging domain to include orchestration of data acquisition and processing pipelines, platforms for multi-tier storage, metadata information modelling, search and reporting, frameworks for image viewing and annotation, data distribution, and integration with platforms for multi-omics analysis.
* Deliver scalable solutions and tools for Data Scientists and Bioinformatic Scientists for data interpretation.
* Be hands on within the scrum team on a day-to-day basis, continually inspecting and shaping the backlog in response to the changing business requirements or technical discoveries/POCs.
* Challenge the norm and push the team to forget the easy route and go after the impossible.
* Lead technology processes from concept development to completion of project deliverables.
Required technical skills & experience
* Domain knowledge and experience in biomedical imaging related data engineering:
* Imaging domains: medical, digital pathology, microscopy
* Standards: DICOM, Bio-Formats, IHE
* Frameworks (any two of): PyDICOM, DCM4CHE, DCMTK
* PACS (any of): DCM4CHEE, Orthanc, COTS
* Image viewers/frameworks: OHIF/DCMJS/Cornerstone, Osirix, Clear Canvas, Synedra
* Experience of working with a range of Data & Analytics architectures: traditional warehousing, NoSQL, container technology (Docker), Distributed computing (Hadoop) etc.
* Experience of building scalable high availability analytics solutions,
* Experience of building unit tests, integration tests, system tests and acceptance tests,
* Experience in DevOps, using continuous integration and continuous development (we use Jenkins, Nexus, Git),
* Agile practices, especially being a SCRUM Master.
Desirable technical skills & experience
* Experience of cloud techniques and tools (we currently use AWS data & analytics services such as S3, SQS, SNS, Lambda, Step Functions, Redshift, Postgres, Aurora, MySQL, EMR, HIVE, PIG, Spark),
* Experience of data analysis - profiling, investigating, interpreting and documenting data structures,
* Familiarity with NoSQL data modelling techniques and hands on modelling experience.
* Bachelor's Degree preferred.
AstraZeneca is a global science-led biopharmaceutical company specializing in the discovery, development, manufacturing, and marketing of prescription medicines.