University of Washington
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here. As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a "Great College to Work For" for five consecutive years.
Health Sciences Administration (HSA) Shared Services Center has an outstanding opportunity for a Senior Computer Specialist position.
The individual in this position will provide outstanding customer service in the planning, development, implementation, management, and support of a fast-paced highly complex distributed data center.
* Research, recommend, plan, and install new hardware and systems.
* Maintain hardware and software inventory.
* Maintain technical documentation of all systems for problem resolving and problem diagnosing procedures.
* Assess user needs/requirements: Research, recommend and/or request products, hardware, services, and software applications.
* Participate in testing and evaluating hardware products in planning for institutional standards.
* Plan, develop, test and schedule server and desktop client software patches.
* Provide technical expertise and leadership for a complex department infrastructure.
* Serve as a primary technical contact to the Center for Shared Services.
* Troubleshoot hardware and software for all end user devices and servers
* Assess, prioritize, implement, maintain, and enforce security measures that will comply with state and federal regulations (i.e. - HIPAA). Includes, developing and enforcing security standards, audits, and policies for compliance, and coordination of security investigations.
* Analyze, plan, develop, implement, and maintain network security measures, including network monitoring tools, antivirus systems, firewalls, physical securities, and user training.
* Establish and maintain security access to the local area network: oversee and assist in creating and maintaining user accounts, monitor network security.
* Establish and maintain network trusts to UW IT and other necessary systems.
* Analyze, plan, develop, implement, and maintain a disaster recovery plan
* Schedule and run routine network and systems backups and coordinate/maintain off-site storage of recovery archives.
* Bachelor's Degree in CSE, Business Information Systems, or related subject
* Minimum 5 years' experience performing progressively more complex and responsible tasks including design, development, and maintenance of multiple servers, preferably in a data center environment with 3 years of direct end user support as well as management of IT systems
* Provide excellent customer service by actively listening to customer's concerns, effectively communicating options, respecting the customer's decisions and implementing them in a timely and cost-effective manner.
* Commitment to continuous improvement in work process and efficiency in an ambiguous environment
* Cultivate positive working relationships with coworkers, management, customers, manufacturers, vendors and the general public.
* Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor.
* Maintain accurate and timely documentation as required.
* Demonstrated working knowledge of current versions of Microsoft Servers.
* Must have experience working in a virtualized environment, specifically Hyper-V and VMware clusters.
* Must have strong scripting skills, preferably PowerShell.
* Must have experience working with data center storage.
* Device Management systems such as SCCM or Puppet
* WSUS, MDT, WDS, Active Directory, GPO, IPv4, TCP/IP, VPN
* Familiarity with the ITIL foundation framework
* Ability to troubleshoot and maintain server hardware and peripherals
* Demonstrated communication skills and ability to work with personnel of various levels of technical background.
* Ability to work with minimum supervision.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
* Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) or Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
* Security Certifications
* Programming languages; .Net, Java, C, C++, Python
* Data Center Management
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of health assessment at the UW's Employee Health Clinic. The health assessment may include but is not limited to tuberculosis clearance, measles clearance, serum banking, immunizations such as tetanus and vaccinia, physical exam and/or review of work health history, x-rays, and/or assessment to wear positive or negative respiratory protective equipment. These health assessments will be repeated periodically during work assignment.
This position may be required to work with and take specific precautions against and/or be immunized against potentially infectious agents. Specific precautions may include wearing respirators and/or protective clothing. Employee is personally responsible for following health & safety and security policies/procedures and staying current on all required training. Blood borne pathogen training and compliance with all WaNPRC and UW security policies is also mandatory.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select "Apply to this position". Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your "My Jobs" page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, your experiences, perspectives and unique identities will be honored at the University of Washington. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable, and welcoming.
About University of Washington
University of Washington is an educational institution that provides undergraduate, graduate, and research programs.