Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will take an active role in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. You will be responsible for defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, designing and debugging of software applications or operating systems.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A unique opportunity to join Database Security Cloud Service team to engineer cutting edge Oracle Cloud technologies and infrastructure that secure Oracle Autonomous Database Cloud. As part of the DevOps team, you will be continually challenged and have an opportunity to contribute to the Oracle Cloud success every day while working closely with the development partners.
As a DevOps Engineer, you will solve interesting technical challenges by defining, designing, deploying, and troubleshooting key Oracle Cloud services, platforms, and infrastructure while always keeping reliability, scalability, resilience, security, and performance in mind.
What You'll Do
* Monitor - Define Service Level Objectives (SLO) and implement/monitor Service Level Indicators (SLI) for production services. Aggregate data from multiple monitoring tools, normalize, and build tools and alerts for the overall system health.
* Service Ownership - You will be part of the DevOps team, whose mission is the shared full stack ownership of a collection of services and/or technology areas, with our Development partners.
* Ownership Scope - You will be a member of a team that will understand the end-to-end configuration, technical dependencies, and overall behavioral characteristics of the production services you own. In partnership with your Development partners, you and your team will have the responsibility to ensure that services are designed and delivered to be mission critical with focus on security, resiliency, scale, and performance.
* Service Design - As the Oracle Cloud evolves; you will partner with development teams in defining and implementing improvements in service architecture, both current and future. You will be an expert at articulating technical characteristics of your services and the dependencies between services and guide Development teams to engineer and add premier capabilities to the Oracle Cloud service portfolio.
* Operations Engineering - You will understand and be able to communicate the scale, capacity, security, performance attributes and requirements of the services you own. You are a Subject Matter Expert, able to understand and communicate every characteristic of your service stack, such as:
* degradation and behavior under load of the services and their dependencies
* end-to-end tuning needs, optimizing resource utilization, as load patterns fluctuate
* Instrumentation and metrics that clearly describe the service behaviors
* scaling requirements and patterns
* resiliency and recoverability, ensuring that backup / restore and disaster recovery capabilities are implemented, tested and maintained
* Automation - You will have a clear understanding of automation and orchestration principles, and will be eager to automate, wherever and whenever the possibility arises, while simultaneously eliminating technical debt. Automation must be part of your DNA.
* Prevention - Once you have expertly resolved an issue, you will immediately work on how to more quickly resolve the problem next time, with the goal to eventually prevent the problem happening ever again
* Broad Interests - DevOps Engineers are a rare mix of sysadmins and development Engineers, and as such have the ability to understand and explain the effect of product architecture decisions on the ability to run as distributed systems. They are driven by professional curiosity and a desire to develop deep understanding of their services and the technologies they depend upon.
* Represent DevOps - Proactive, self-motivated, customer-focused, organized, and a good communicator. DevOps Engineers can be expected to represent Cloud products and engineering in sensitive forums.
Ideally you will have:
* A BS or MS in Computer Science, or equivalent
* 3-5 years of experience running large scale customer facing web services in a DevOps/SRE environment
* Aptitude to be a good team player and the willingness to learn and implement new Cloud technologies as needed
* Methodical approach to troubleshooting complex problems
* Knowledge of:
* Linux internals
* Scripting languages, such as Python, Bash, etc.
* Monitoring and Instrumentation
* DevOps toolchain
What the Perfect Candidate Will Have
* Configuration Management and Infrastructure automation tools such as Terraform, Chef
* Good Understanding of:
* Java and REST APIs
* OCI concept and data center
* Load balancing technologies
* Networking and TCP/IP
* Server hardware configuration
* Standard Internet services, such as DNS, HTTP, etc.
* Cloud computing patterns
* Database administration
Oracle is a company providing integrated cloud applications and platform services.