The Regents of the University of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
The Controller's Office provides oversight of various University financial services including financial accounting and controls, accounts receivable, accounts payable, contracts and grants accounting, and payroll. The Controller's Office also provides analyst support for the PeopleSoft Financials system which consists of the General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Commitment Control, Accounts Receivable, Billing, Contracts, Grants and Project Costing modules.
The Business Systems Analyst position involves analyzing large-scale business processes and problems; developing solutions involving the use of computer systems, information flow and architecture; creating specifications for systems to meet requirements; validating requirements against needs; designing details of automated systems; developing user interface design; planning and executing unit integration and acceptance testing. The role may lead cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues.
* Performs highly complex analysis of business and user needs, documentation of requirements, and translation into proper system requirement specifications.
* Applies advanced business systems concepts to define highly complex systems scope and objectives based on both user needs and a good understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements.
* Initiates and designs functional system specifications where there are no standardized policies, procedures or delivered functionality.
* May lead a team of business analysis professionals to plan and execute unit, integration, and acceptance testing and will independently execute unit, integration and acceptance testing.
* Leads cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues.
* May lead of team of business systems professionals. Guides and advises less-experienced Business Systems Analysts.
* Works at the highest technical level of most phases of systems analysis while considering the business implications of the application of technology to the current and future business environment.
* Provide user support and training on new applications.
* Initiates, facilitates, implements and documents work process changes.
* Minimum ten (10) years of PeopleSoft FSCM functional implementation or upgrade experience required. At least two (2) years of experience with version 9.2.
* At least eight (8) years of experience with project management practices, principles, techniques and tools. Experience with Agile methodology.
* Superior knowledge of three (3) or more of the following PeopleSoft Modules: Accounts Payable, Purchasing, General Ledger, Commitment Control, Accounts Receivable, Billing, eBill, Contracts, Grants or Project Costing.
* Knowledge of PeopleSoft HCM Commitment Accounting functionality a plus.
* Superior knowledge of PeopleSoft Query tool and PeopleSoft Financials table structure.
* Superior knowledge of applicable industry standards and best practices for business analysts at all stages of the implementation life cycle.
* Superior organizational skills.
* Advanced knowledge of business analysis function including business process mapping and PeopleSoft program design.
* Advanced knowledge of contracts and grants processes and procedures.
* Sustained, proven ability to think analytically and use independent judgment.
* Excellent interpersonal and communications skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization, including superior writing skills. Has demonstrated superior ability to communicate complex system issues to non-technical staff.
* Strong knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
* Sustained proven pattern in using creativity and initiative to analyze and solve problems of diverse scope.
* Experience with system conversion, customization and integration design and execution.
* Demonstrates ability to teach and train others. Develops and assists less experienced BSA's.
* Bachelors degree in accounting or management information systems and/or equivalent experience/training
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About The Regents of the University of California
The Regents of the University of California is the governing board of the University of California.