1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world's largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Team
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We're looking for engineers who share this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others. This team works on challenging and exciting features including recommendations, search, payments and the mobile app API, so we use a wide variety of technologies including Ruby on Rails, Scala, Go, ElasticSearch, Spark/Hadoop, MySQL, Cassandra and Redis.
Some of our recent projects include:
Building the world's best recommendation engine for books (machine learning in Spark, runtime in Ruby). We utilize large amounts of data that allows us to correlate our huge library to each individual user, offering a very personalized experience maximizing user engagement and exploration.
Scaling backend search infrastructure (using technologies like Elasticsearch, HDFS, Spark, Hive, and Go) to achieve a low latency and high availability search service for our website and our apps.
Improving search quality by implementing and tuning multiple ranking algorithms, indexing schemes, and better search suggestions.
Building well designed and fast API endpoints for our mobile apps (in Ruby and Go).
Implementation of an in-house payment and subscription system that increases transaction success rates by using a large number of optimizations based on data observations and thorough analysis.
Internal tools that glue together all of our infrastructure and coordinate the moving parts (analytics, anomaly detection, a/b testing platform, task pipelines, image server and many more).
We're looking for strong engineers with exceptional problem solving skills who want to work independently and own large, complicated projects. You're comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces. You have exquisite attention to detail. You're comfortable learning new technologies and systems. Collaboration, time management, and communication are as important as your technical skills.
We're looking for:
* Strong background or interest in building successful products in the context of a web application
* Experience shipping clean code that works
* Background in algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving
* Bachelor's or higher in mathematics, computer science, physics, or equivalent experience
* Strong SQL skills and the ability to analyze large and complex datasets
Why we work here
* Health benefits: 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
* Generous PTO policy plus we close for the last week in December
* 401k matching
* Paid Parental leave
* Monthly wellness budget and fully paid membership to our onsite fitness facility
* Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
* Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station
* Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.
Scribd is a digital library, featuring e-book subscription services on iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet.