Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you're watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today's forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We're changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
This team at Mapbox is responsible for identity management, authorization, and transactional billing for over a million Mapbox users and for the authentication of every request that touches the Mapbox API. These systems serve as the entry points for every Mapbox product, and are the cornerstone of our platform. Reliability, data integrity, and security are top of mind for everything we do. Accessibility is also a must; we work across the stack to expose the services that we build via intuitive and accessible interfaces.
The team's scope of work serves a diverse range of stakeholders. Our internal tools are used by internal Mapbox teams, our public APIs and interfaces help Mapbox users manage and understand their accounts, and our private APIs lay an important foundation for our Mapbox service teams.
What You'll Do
Mapbox is looking for a talented backend engineer to join our Identity and Billing team in San Francisco. You will be responsible for contributing to, maintaining, and improving all things related to the Accounts ecosystem at Mapbox. In this role, you can expect to:
* Spearhead new feature development to best serve Mapbox customers' account management, billing, statistics, and authentication needs.
* Empathize with internal customers of the platform and ship features to address their needs.
* Design systems and make decisions that will keep pace with the rapid growth of Mapbox.
* Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, writing documentation, and being on-call to support the health of our services.
* Optimize for qualities like debt reduction, ease of knowledge sharing, and people hours spent in addition to performance and feature velocity.
* Understand what steps need to be taken in order to execute on a well-vetted product idea to completion. Identify and scope out well-defined tasks for yourself and the team.
* Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
* 5+ years of proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable solutions to complex technology problems.
* Experience building scalable web services or distributed cloud-based architecture.
* Autonomy, proactivity, and ownership around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity.
* A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion.
* A personal drive to expand your comfort zone by exploring new and/or unfamiliar tasks.
* A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
* Strong proficiency in a programming language, testing practices, and thorough documentation.
* Experience with our tech stack-node.js, React, SQL, NoSQL, Docker, AWS (ECS, CloudFormation, Lambda, DynamoDB, and more) is a plus.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
* We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
* We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
* We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
* We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Mapbox is a provider of a mapping platform for designers and developers.