We are seeking an experienced, talented, and highly motivated hands on software architect software to join our Server Platform Engineering team. This is an opportunity to work with the software foundation of Akamai's Intelligent Platform and Akamai's Private Cloud(APC). Our technologies include the Linux ecosystem, server configuration technologies, alerting and monitoring, and network management systems. All of Akamai's services depend on our software. You will collaborate closely with internal Akamai teams who develop products and services for our customers. You will be tasked with our most challenging problems, diagnosing and troubleshooting complex systems issues, designing and building innovative high quality solutions that are secure, scalable, and reliable.
The opportunity to make a significant impact on Akamai business and on critically important open source projects is precisely what makes the job rewarding. People who do best are the ones who seek challenges, possess a passion for learning, and have demonstrated courage and ability to pose and solve truly difficult problems. The job requires a combination of strong system design, virtuoso programming and debugging skills, and independence. You must have a passion to get things done quickly and get them done right.
* Author software design documents and lead them through the review process
* Lead proof of concept and rapid prototyping projects
* Collaborate with stakeholders to understand their requirements and translate requirements into functional designs
* Analyze complex system problems and performance and suggest improvements
* Incorporate open source technologies within your solutions
* Advise on build versus buy options
* Stay current with the Linux ecosystem and emerging industry trends
* Participate in occasional conferences and meetups
About the Team
The Server Platform Engineering team is collaborative team that provides the software building blocks for the Akamai global distributed network composed of 240,000 servers, 1700 networks, and 130 countries. Part of the larger Platform Engineering team, the Server Platform Engineering team develops and supports the software common across our distributed network. Akamai is changing the way that people use Internet, and our team is at the core of evolving our technology platform - come help us make history!
Required Education and Experience
* 12 years of relevant experience and a Bachelors degree or equivalent experience or
* 8 years of relevant experience and a Master's degree; or
* 5 years of relevant experience with a PhD.
* 5+ years of Linux software development experience
* 5+ years of software architect/design experience
* 5+ years of C/C++, Python or Go programming experience
* 5+ years experience with concurrent programming, data structures, and algorithms
* Expert understanding of Linux operating system and computer system architectures
* Understanding of cloud native development patterns (microservices, statelessness, service registry, service discovery, etc.)
* Experience with virtualization technologies like KVM and QEmu
* Experience with Linux container technologies, such as LXC, Docker, Kubernetes, or Mesos
* Solid knowledge of Linux debugging and performance analysis
* Proficiency with network protocols, including IP, IPv6, TCP, UDP, ICMP
* Proficiency in Linux shell scripting, Perl, or Python
* Some experience with at least one configuration management tool like Ansible, Puppet or Spinnaker
* Experience developing infrastructure systems for a cloud environments
* Prior contributions to Open Source projects
* Some familiarity with CI/CD servers (Jenkins) and artifact management (Artifactory)
* Innovation and Collaboration
Akamai Technologies is a provider of cloud services for delivering, optimizing and securing online content and business applications across any device.