Western Union is changing. Yes, we're the company that moves money around the world quickly and reliably in 200 countries and territories. We are also present in over 510,000 locations bringing immense distribution convenience to our consumers. But we're on the cusp of becoming much more than that. Our vision is to be the preferred financial services provider for the underserved - billions of people and businesses with unmet financial service needs. That means aggressively pursuing digital, mobile, ATM/kiosk and stored value card strategies that meet the needs of today's global consumers and businesses. So if you're looking for a company on the move - and truly one of the most diverse work environments on the planet - then Western Union could be for you.
Right now, we are seeking a Senior Application Architect, based at Western Union's Digital headquarters in San Francisco, California. Application Architects are part of the Western Union Go-Tech organization designing, building, enhancing and supporting the enterprise class systems that power Western Union. This role works across the IT organization and with business partners to define and build out complex solutions and drive value through business process simplification, automation and new product capabilities. You will play a critical role in designing and developing scalable, message based, event driven micro-service oriented systems that are the engine behind Western Union.
Sound interesting? Here are some specifics:
* This role leads digital payments architecture and solutions
* Participate in the design and documentation of new and enhanced systems
* Lead technical discussions between internal teams and external strategic partners
* Participate in agile software development life cycle from story grooming through detailed design, coding, functional testing, code review and retrospectives
* Take a leadership role in defining technical roadmap for products and technical components
* Assist support teams in solving user issues
* Mentor and lead team members
* Consult, influence, develop and maintain roadmaps for all solution integration options ensuring alignment with business objectives
* Creates detailed engineering functional solution documentation and partner 'how to' documentation
* Responsible for aligning services delivered from the capability owners
* Assumes ownership of action plans and remediation
* Oversees interdependencies between interfacing technologies and their support teams Influences and drives engineering strategy
* Participates with internal & external organizations to drive continuous improvement
* Challenge, draw conclusions, and anticipate problems & resolution strategies
* Oversees highly complex, cross functional projects independently at a cross portfolio level in multiple domains
* Communicates concepts, action plans crisply
What you will need to succeed:
* Bachelor's degree, preferably in Computer Science or Engineering
* 10+ Years of software development
* 5+ years of team lead and software design
* Strong communication skills, both oral and written
* Strong presentation skills for presenting technology solutions to internal stakeholders and external partners
* Strong software architecture and design skills
* Strong experience in Java programming including, Servlets, JDBC, JMS, SpringBoot, Spring Integration, JDBC, JEE
* Open source tools/frameworks like Camel, ServiceMesh, NetFlix tools a plus
* Agile software development practices and tools
* Dependency management and build tools such as Gradle, Salt, Ansible
* UNIX, Linux & Shell scripting experience
* RDBMS and NOSQL databases
* Managing the delivery of complex software projects
* Test automation, using tools like Gherkin, Cucumber, Selenium, So
* Modeling and implementing API services using both SOAP and RESTful methodologies
* SOA and micro-services design principles and patterns
* XML Schemas and JSON
* Metadata driven ETL tools
* Excellent debugging skills
* Strong familiarity with source code management and continuous integration/delivery processes and tools like SVN and Jenkins
What will make you stand out:
* Possess an advanced computer science or engineering degree
* Have strong experience with distributed system design
* Experience with Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) and Messaging (e.g.Kafka) technologies
* Experience with software development life-cycle tools like Jira and Confluence
* Possess cloud based software development skills using AWS/Azure
* Have experience with financial services and payments
What's in it for you?
* Competitive global pay and benefits
* Unparalleled experience as part of one of the most advanced compliance teams in the world, with opportunities to build valuable skills and grow your career
* Diverse, global team with colleagues in over 50 countries
What it's like here:
Western Union (WU) is a company on the move! We believe that when money moves, better things can happen. From small businesses and global corporations, to families near and far, or NGO's in the most remote communities on Earth, WU helps people and business move money globally. We have a rich legacy of innovation, and are continuing to develop new and more convenient ways for our customers to send and receive money through digital, mobile and retail channels. We have a combined digital and retail network that spans over 200 countries and territories. Some companies specialize in cash-based retail money transfer and others play only in digital. We are leaders in both!
Being on the Western Union team means being tenacious and goal-oriented. It means taking risks and quickly finding the path to success. It means having integrity, and finding ways to make things work. It means thriving as part of a diverse, global team of over 10,000 people who are committed to moving money for better. It means being driven to win, and to do work that makes a difference… on a global stage. Sound like you? Apply now!
Inclusion and diversity are fundamental to our culture and success. Achieving our common vision depends on people with diverse backgrounds working together. Who knows; your unique point of view could be the key to our next groundbreaking idea. We'd love to explore that possibility!
Western Union is proud to be an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or related medical conditions), national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status or another protected category.
About Western Union
Western Union is a global provider of money movement and payment services for consumers and businesses.