The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an innovative, energetic semantic web / linked data scientist.
Work with our multi-disciplinary team designing and implementing semantic web-based systems for ontology-centered knowledge representation and intelligence analysis.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
* Work with senior software engineers, semantic web technologists, ontologists, physicists, chemists, biologists, and related field subject matter experts to implement and deploy systems for analyzing big data within the realm of intelligence analysis. (40%)
* Conceive and design innovative methods for employing semantic technologies to the counter-WMD and intelligence analysis problem sets. (10%)
* Research and develop systems concerned with semi-automated or automated ontology construction alignment. (10%)
* Intersect semantic web / ontology based approaches with Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval, and Data Mining techniques to make novel advancements in practical application and research of data science and analysis.(15%)
* Decompose real-world mission gaps into problems sets that can be addressed using set, information, and graph theoretic approaches. (10%)
* Support system deployment, troubleshooting and user training. (10%)
* Author and present papers on current research activities. (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
Ph.D. or M.S. in Computer Science or similar academic discipline. Candidate must have strong understanding of core Computer Science academic theory regardless of degree. Practical experience building applications using standards and technologies falling within the semantic web stack (e.g., Jena, Sesame, Triple / Quad Stores). Proficiency with Resource Description Framework (RDF), Resource Description Framework Schema (RDFS) and SPARQL Graph Query Language, or similar technologies. Strong understanding Web Ontology Language (OWL), including the use of advanced features such as property restrictions, language profiles, consistency checking, and logical inference. Familiarity with Ontology engineering practices and modeling tradeoffs. Familiarity with and willingness to adopt upper ontology principles of Basic Formal Ontology (BFO) in systems design. Intermediate to advanced level of proficiency in object-oriented software engineering principles and including proficiency in software development using one or more modern languages such as Java and Python. Comfortable in an environment where only high-level requirements may exist in absence of a fully-defined detailed project schedule. Ability to creatively contribute towards developing new requirements by identifying customer needs and applying expertise and knowledge of available methods, tools, and concepts to those needs. Ability to own a task and take responsibility for completion with minimal supervision. Ability to clearly express oneself both orally and in writing. Must have some limited experience with integrated development environments, software architecture design and development, and software test and deployment.
Some familiarity with additional areas of study in the field of Intellgent Systems / AI such as knowledge discovery, Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval, Classifiers, and Statistical Inference. Current TS/SCI.
Special Working Conditions (travel, working in closed areas, extended hours): May require a small amount of travel within the National Capital Region to deploy production systems or attend meetings or conferences. Occasional travel out of the area for sponsor / partner engagements.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.