What you'll be doing...
A Security Event Manager is responsible for assessing, developing, and implementing security products and services for GSOC customers using Verizon's event correlation tools and big data technology. The Security Event Manager is expected to support customers through the monitoring practice and identification of suspicious activity. A Security Event Manager spends a portion of time researching industry best practices, current vulnerabilities, attacks and appropriate countermeasures to apply to the GSOC security practice.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities include:
* Developing a clear, risk-based research and development (R&D) program roadmap in order to assess, develop, and implement a portfolio of security products and services for GSOC customers using Verizon's event correlation tools and big data technology.
* Ability to analyze, correlate, and enrich large data sets of cyber security logs to detect undesired activity of trusted agents or malicious actors in an Enterprise environment.
* Provide ongoing support to internal and external customers by:
* Verifying network connectivity path via appropriate testing methods;
* Identify and troubleshoot issues associated with data collection and wrangling;
* Supporting customer receipt and comprehension of collected information;
* Proactively contacting customer if issues are identified; and
* Proactively making coordinated process improvements to individual customer data collection, processing, delivery, and monitoring methods in coordination with peers.
* Lead/Coordinate customer/stakeholder presentations, meeting, and requirements gathering
* Lead assigned projects with time deadlines as directed by Security Management or Director
* Brief Managers and Directors during ad hoc and scheduled staff meetings on operations & projects through written reports, metrics, presentations, & casework.
* Promote an environment of collaboration and individual accountably in the SOC.
* Research, distill, and recommend solutions recently identified cyber security issues.
* Troubleshoot/Assist teams in issues that may arise in the SOC and/or peer organizations.
* Ensure the integrity of Verizon and GSOC are upheld at all times.
* The regular schedule is weekday business hours but irregular hours may be required in response to important projects or operational emergencies.
* This position will require 24/7 on-call readiness as directed by GSOC management.
* Work location is Irving, Texas and requires no more than 25% travel.
* This position will report to the Senior Operations Manager responsible for GSOC Event Management.The position will not include direct reports.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience
* Six or more years of relevant work experience
* Demonstrated proficiency in Splunk Development and one or more of the following:
* Ability to produce and publish high quality technical documentation (such as dashboards, visualizations, and metrics) and the ability to communicate information to teams, customers, and management using data, queries, demonstrations;
* Demonstrated experience with complex networks, network architecture, and interpreting log data to technical and non-technical audiences;
* Deep understanding of current and future cyber security tools and technologies;
* Demonstrated ability communicating complex network concepts to a non-technical audience using logs, diagrams, visualizations, and big data applications/services;
* Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of staff and management in high pressure environments;
* Experience conducting security research and development of applied security solutions;
* Demonstrate applied analytical, data wrangling, and data evaluation skills to solve security problems for investigators and engineers
* Experience evaluating and/or developing new security products and services for business stakeholders
* 24/7 on-call readiness and participating in ongoing after hours call schedule;
* Experience working with remote teams using virtual collaboration tools; and
* Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal and project management skills.
Even better if you have:
* Confirmable, Information Security Operations background [5+ years]
* One or more of the following credentials/certifications:
* Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
* Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
* Project Management Professional (PMP)
* Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
* Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
* Certified ITIL
* Splunk Core Certified User
* Splunk Core Certified Power User
* Splunk Enterprise Certified Admin
* Splunk Enterprise Certified Architect
* Splunk Certified Developer
* Splunk Enterprise Security Certified Admin
* Splunk IT Service Intelligence Certified Admin
* Bachelor's degree
* Familiarity with data analysis best practices and data science
* Demonstrated experience communicating cyber threats to Senior Management through qualitative and quantitative metrics
* Demonstrated experience working with compliance teams to mitigate cyber threats
* Prior work experience in a security operations center with a SIEM, a case management system, and a Splunk installation.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.