What you'll be doing...
The Security Engineer is a part of Verizon's Managed Security Services SOC and will be responsible for the management, maintenance, and optimization of multiple security platforms supporting managed services infrastructure, with a main focus on firewall engineering. This role will work closely with the Security Operations Center (SOC) as an escalation point for complex problem analysis and incident resolution on security devices, primarily firewalls. Besides working on incidents, this role also manages changes. Change management responsibilities include reviewing requirements, designing, documenting, and implementing change in accordance with Verizon and customer security standards.
Major Responsibilities include:
* Incident management through complex troubleshooting of security devices/solutions including steps to minimize the impact and follow-on technical and forensic investigation to discover origin of breach and the extent of the damage
* Support installation and maintenance of network and security devices, including firewalls, data encryption, and IDS/IPS to ensure proper logging and analytical reporting
* Conduct threat analysis on the network and system to find exploitable weaknesses and vulnerability remediation and protection implementation.
* Be responsible for advanced security event detection and threat analysis for complex and/or escalated security events
* Provide log/network/malware/device analysis and making recommendations for remediation of security vulnerability conditions
* Add Customer Context, eliminate "noise" and false positives, and develop trends and data model
* Design, engineer, document and implement change requests in security devices
* Training of peers, briefing customers and other Verizon organizations outside Operations
* Planning and overseeing security patching, signatures, code upgrades, audits and response to POA&Ms
* Ability to review and comment on architecture designs for solution enhancements and upgrades
* Provisioning customers on the infrastructure as needed to meet business requirements
What we're looking for...
You Must Have
* A degree or four or more years of work experience
* 4 or more years of work experience in a dedicated security device engineering position
* Direct hands-on experience with Splunk or other SIEM tools as an Engineer or Analyst, including Enterprise Security (ES) experience to include Index Design, Infrastructure, Data Collection, Deployment Management, Data Enrichment, Querying, Integration and Operations
* Must have a current active government security clearance, or be able to qualify to obtain a government security clearance
* Experience in three or more of the following security devices:
* Cisco/Juniper Firewall and Router
* Sourcefire IPS/IDS
* Routers and switches
* F5 load balancers
* Administrator level experience on UNIX/Linux operating system
Even Better If You Have
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science / Engineering / Information Security or equivalent professional experience
* ITIL Foundation training or certification
* Platform experience with SIEM also a bonus
* At least one security certification such as CCSE, CISSP, CCSP, JNCIP, CCNA Security, Security +, CCNP Security
* Strong knowledge of DNS
* Strong communication skills and ability to engage with customers to understand their requirements
* Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
* Able to identify and communicate gaps in processes
* Ability to excel in high pressure environments
* Ability to work and participate within a team environment
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.