Etsy Security seeks a Security Detection Engineer excited to protect an online marketplace bustling with millions of buyers and sellers daily. This position is ideal for an experienced Software Engineer with a real interest in the security space.
As a security detection engineer, you'll be working on the tooling what we use to detect malicious or scary behavior in Etsy's systems. We believe that our alerting systems should be as clever as possible, so that the security team spends as little time as possible wading through noise. We regularly use machine learning and other industry-leading techniques to advance this goal. You'll be collaborating with our security analysts to improve the usefulness of our alerts. You'll also work with your peers on the security research & operations team to expand the breadth of what our alerts watch for, based on the results of red team, tabletop, and threat model exercises. As you grow in the role, what you work on will be guided not only by what threats Etsy faces, but by your own skills and interests.
What's it like working at Etsy? "Keep commerce human" exhorts our Mission, and this focus on personal connection pervades the company. Cross pollination within Security, and throughout Engineering as a whole, facilitates innovation on the very vanguard of our field. You'll be collaborating with peers who prize intellectual rigor, creativity, and experimentation as paramount, in an environment that affords a rich benefits package and ample career growth. If this portrait appeals to you, we would love to speak about your future on Etsy Security.
This is a full-time role located in Brooklyn, NY.
About the role
* Write new alert code and improve existing alerts using BeamSQL, BigQuery, Python, Java, ML tools such as BigQuery ML, etc.
* Customize our ZenDesk-based alert management system/SIEM.
* Improve our detection and incident response procedures and practices through participation in red team, tabletop, and threat model exercises.
* Work both independently and collaboratively.
* If you want, contribute to Etsy's proprietary event collection and alerting backend.
* You've been writing code professionally for 2+ years.
* You're interested in pursuing security as a field. (Interest or experience in security monitoring, forensics, incident response, red teaming, penetration testing, etc. a plus.)
* You have some experience with database development, e.g. SQL and friends.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you'd be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you're proud of, we'd love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.