Raytheon BBN Technologies is seeking a qualified Experimental Research Scientist in the field of optics and photonics with 3+ years of experience performing sophisticated research and experiments. The candidate will join a highly entrepreneurial and enthusiastic group advancing computation, communications, sensing and metrology technology by exploring classical and quantum phenomena. The candidate will support experimental efforts in integrated photonics covering both classical and quantum applications for a wide range of wavelengths as well as different operation temperatures. In addition the candidate will be involved in developing new concepts by supporting theoretical and modeling studies.
* Conduct nanophotonics experiments for a wide range of classical/non-classical applications
* Work with the team to research and develop advanced concepts and link multidisciplinary areas
* Work collaboratively within small experienced teams and with academic partners
* Present accomplishments and teach concepts to teammates, sponsors, and conference audiences
Required Education and Experience:
* PhD in Physics, Engineering, or related fields with focused area on optics and photonics.
* Significant research experience in optics and integrated photonics measurements
* Deep knowledge of photonic and electromagnetic device modeling, device concept, and expertise in numerical modeling techniques (FEM, FDTD, analytical, semi-analytical, …)
* Experience with high-performing teams publishing and presenting their achievements
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Strong knowledge in nonlinear and quantum optics, as well as semiconductor optoelectronic devices is desirable
* Experience automating experiments is highly desirable
* Experience performing high-frequency and low-noise measurements is desirable
* Experience of performing quantum and/or cryogenic measurement is desirable
* Familiarity with foundry level photonics as well as nanofabrication is desirable
* Desired software/programming experience: EMAG Simulation Software (e.g. COMSOL, Lumerical, etc.), Matlab, LabView, Python, developing simulation codes from the first principles.
This position requires either (1) US citizenship, (2) Permanent Residency, or (3) other suitable documentation to permit hiring if you are not a US citizen or Permanent Resident.
131951 Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) builds radars and other sensors for aircraft, spacecraft and ships. The business also provides communications and electronic warfare solutions and performs research in areas ranging from linguistics to quantum computing. SAS is headquartered in McKinney, Texas USA. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts. Follow us on Twitter.
None / Not Required
Research & Development
Type Of Job
MA - Cambridge
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon is a technology company, which specializes in defense and other government markets.