What does it take to make the world a safer place? It takes delivering innovative technology and collaborating with some of the finest talent in the engineering field. Whether you're a software engineer or a mechanical engineer, at Raytheon you'll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you'll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life. If you're ready to take on today's big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
* America's Best Large Employers by Forbes
* Career & Development Opportunities
* Entry, Mid, Senior level
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
The Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) program is developing the next-generation weather satellite system and operating the current weather satellite constellation to provide decision quality weather data to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the nation's weather data users. Raytheon is developing, deploying, and sustaining the JPSS Command, Control, and Communications Segment (C3S), the Interface Data Processing Segment (IDPS), and the Field Terminal Segment (FTS). For more information on JPSS, see: https://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/jpss
The Mission Support Team (MST) of Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) is seeking highly motivated Satellite Controller (SATCON) to provide engineering support to the Common Ground System (CGS), operated by Raytheon, at the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Satellite Operations Facility (NSOF) in Suitland, Maryland. at the NOAA Satellite Operations Facility (NSOF) in Suitland, Maryland. This position is located at the NSOF.
The SATCON is responsible for real-time commanding of the JPSS satellites. The SATCON will be responsible for understanding the entire system to include Space/Ground links, Spacecraft, Ground Station support equipment, Data transport systems, ground software, hardware and architecture, interfaces with the White Sands Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS) and other internal and external interfaces.
The SATCON position is staffed 24/7 and ability to work shift work is required. Some work hour variation is required at satellite launch periods:
* Pre-Launch work hours are between 8am to 5pm.
* At Launch minus 90 days, the work hours will be scheduled to support 24/7 Satellite Operations including various mission activities leading up to Launch and will require flexible work schedules. This will include some off-hours, weekends and possibly holidays depending on mission needs.
Some travel may be required in the Continental United States (CONUS) or out-of-CONUS (OCONUS).
You will be trained and certified via Raytheon training modules and On-The-Job (OJT) training prior to unsupervised operations.
* Responds to spacecraft bulletins, alerts, and alarms.
* Reviews real-time telemetry
* Reacts to anomalies and limit violations
* Write, track and report Work Requests (WRs are system trouble tickets.)
* The SATCON reports to the Enterprise Management Operations Controller (EMOC) and is the backup for the EMOC. He/she is one of two (with EMOC) primary crew operators at the Mission Management Center (MMC) and works closely with Spacecraft and Sensor Analysts and other Mission Support Team (MST) members to ensure JPSS mission success.
Ability to obtain CAC via a National Agency Check (NAC).
Engineering background with troubleshooting familiarity.
* Network (LAN/WAN) architecture
* Protocols and equipment
* Microsoft® Windows® domains (Windows7/Server 2008R2)
* Linux (CentOS & SUSE)
Must be eager to learn!
Four plus years with Satellite Operations Center experience supporting operations. Three years satellite operations and or science data processing experience.
Experience and knowledge of complex, distributed ground systems to include satellite ground station equipment and procedures.
* Integration and test of satellite operations and/or ground systems.
* Satellite operations.
* Software and system test and validation processes
* Standard Operations Procedures (SOP) development and validation or technical writing.
* Raytheon software systems (ECLIPSE ™, EQUINOX ™, ESC ™).
Eager to learn!
BS Degree in Computer Science, Space Operations, Computer Technology, Math, Physics, EE, or other STEM degree with two years relevant experience,
Ten years relevant experience.
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization. 140081
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services delivers innovative technology to make the world a safer place. Our expertise in cyber, analytics and automation allow us to reach beyond what others think is possible to underpin national security and give our global customers unique solutions to solve the most pressing modern challenges -- from the cyber domain to automated operations, and from intelligent transportation and training solutions to creating clear insight from large volumes of data. IIS operates at nearly 550 sites in 80 countries, and is headquartered in Dulles, Virginia. The business area generated $6.2 billion in 2018 revenues. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
None / Not Required
Type Of Job
MD - Suitland
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon is a global company that specializes in defense and other government markets.