Who are we?
Our vision is of a global community of individuals empowered to pursue the work they love. Our mission is to grow that community by transforming millions of thinkers into creators.
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
GA has a remote-friendly culture with offices around the world. If you prefer the office, our headquarters are located in New York City. Twice a year, the entire Product team gets together in New York for a week of team building, workshops, lightning talks, urban adventures, and an epic hackathon.
What You’ll Build
We are organized into small cross-functional product teams (a PM, a designer, a few devs) that focus on growing a single product from glimmer to game-changer. Each team is free to determine their own tools & process. We care about writing good software that is clean, concise, and well-tested; flexible and easy to maintain. Our stack is Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL and ReactJS, but we are not dogmatic and believe in using the right tools for a particular problem.
What are these teams working on?
- Data & systems that support our global campus and enterprise business
- Evolving large applications into an ecosystem of microservices
Innovative online education experiences for consumer & enterprise users
- Platforms to connect our community of students & alumni
- Internal tools supporting every part of our organization
- Solve complex architecture and business problems. Solutions are extensible. Works to simplify, optimize, remove bottlenecks, etc...
- Suggest new architectural elements to improve the existing architecture
- Write high quality code that are modular, functional and testable; - Establish the best coding practices
- Formally mentor junior engineers on design, coding and troubleshooting
- Communicate, collaborate and work effectively in a global environment unafraid to think out-of-the-box
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in software design, software development & architecture
- Excellent Ruby on Rails experience
- Experience building large-scale applications in a Linux environment
- Excellent communications skills
- Experience building complex, scalable, high-performance software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience developing on Unix/Linux
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices
- Strong focus on clean code and robust design
- Heroku and AWS technologies experience
- Good Front End development skills
- Experience with Node.js, Angular, React
- Experience with design and development of Web Services
- Strong customer focus
- Highly Competitive Salary
- Generous parental leave
- Annual Education Allowance
- Gym Allowance
- Apple Macbook Pro + External Monitor
- Flexible PTO
- 401k Retirement plan
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Company iPhone
Who can apply?
You are living in or willing to self-relocate to...
- The USA in any of these states: CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, IL, KS, MA, NY, NC, TX, VA and/or WA
- Germany, Toronto and the UK
About General Assembly
Master new skills in design, marketing, technology, and data — online or at our campuses around the world.