Resident Network Engineer Herndon
Position: Resident Network Engineer
Location: Herndon, VA
Duration: 12 Months
Experience: 7 to 10 Years is a must
* Desired Education: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
* Certifications: JNCIP, JNCIE / CCIE or equivalent
* Lab Configuration, testing and deployment support in LAN/WAN/Mobile Backhaul networks
* Juniper MX/PTX, Cisco ASR/CRS/GSR platform with detailed knowledge about implementing IP routing for both IPv4 and IPv6
* Need understanding or have experience working in a Service Provider network (i.e. Sprint, AT&T, Verizon) or similar environment
* Candidates need talk to what they have on their resume
* To hold design and information gathering workshops with the Customer to understand the Customer's existing network design and technical requirements for new network designs.
* To understand the Customer's organizational structure and become familiar with the Customer's network implementation, support processes and procedures to help in designing a network that is available and sustainable.
* To carry out testing of new designs, features, and functionality as required by the Customer in a laboratory environment and to help develop plans to implement and verify that they are operating correctly in the live network
* To test patches and fixes to operating software and to ensure that they are implemented and functioning correctly in the pre-production test network and then live network as implementation plans dictate.
* To troubleshoot equipment and network problems and to open and track JTAC cases through to problem resolution on pre and post production issues.
* To raise equipment Return Material Authorizations (RMA's) and to track these through to problem resolution
* To produce a written summary report of the status of Design projects, equipment and network problems on a regular basis to the Customer
* To hold technology workshops with the Customer to discuss equipment and network problems, and to provide case status updates, including the reasons for any problems encountered and the workarounds and/or solutions that are being tried
* To train the Customer's design, implementation and support personnel to configure and operate the Juniper Networks products
* To assist the Customer to develop Network Operating and Equipment Operating Procedures
* Support design and planning of Juniper MX Series network routing products within the Customer infrastructure
* Support ongoing efforts in defining best practice policies for Juniper product applications used by Customer
* The Resident Engineer is expected to peer with other employees performing similar resident engineering roles where lessons learned may help minimize risk associated with major network upgrades or changes in the network.
* The RE will be expected to develop secondary skills in other products in the Juniper product portfolio.
Skills and Experience:
* Candidates for this role MUST have a minimum of 7-10 years experience providing implementation and technical support of networking products in LAN, WAN, or Internet services environments. Candidates for this role must also have a minimum of 3 years experience designing IP networks.
* Desired Education: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.
* Certifications: JNCIP, JNCIE / CCIE or equivalent.
Candidates for this role MUST be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
* Experience in service provider world is highly desired.
* Lab Configuration, testing and deployment support in LAN/WAN/Mobile Backhaul networks.
* Juniper MX/PTX, Cisco ASR/CRS/GSR platform with detailed knowledge about implementing IP routing for both IPv4 and IPv6.
* A detailed understanding of the protocols surrounding IP service provider networks. These skills should include: a. TCP/IP fundamentals, b. IP subnetting and supernetting and hierarchical routing principles, c. Routing protocol (OSPF, IS-IS, and BGP-4) operation, migration, and scaling mechanisms, d. Routing policies at BGP peering points, e. VPNs and the associated tunneling technologies (L2TP, MPLS, etc.),
* Strong background and understanding of all MPLS, IGP and failover features/technologies.
* Industry Concepts such as Multi-AS, TDM to Ethernet conversion, HQOS, L3vpn/L2vpn services understanding is a must.
* For lab support position, tasks to include configuration conversion (From IOS/XR to JUNOS), interoperability testing and certification of various services/solutions.
* Hands-on configuration and troubleshooting skillsets on JUNOS are required, and Cisco IOS/XR desired.
* Additional important tasks include creating comprehensive documentation on Testing results, Sprint MOPs, Design Documents etc.
* Knowledge and practical experience with scripting a plus.
* Knowledge transfer is very key for the customer and will also be an important responsibility for the Engineers.
* Most importantly, candidate needs to be proactive and with good work ethics.
* Strong Interpersonal skills.
* The ability to function in a team environment.
* Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and work calmly under pressure.